Stems - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stems

Tech Convert

Err.. I don't think I can judge it till I see it...

I don't really get why people would be upset about it... I mean I just think it comes down to "is this a cool technology? Is this something that opens up new creative possibilities for me?"

Admitidly I'm very much interested in real time production and DJ-ing.. as a kind of spectrum... and I think this could potentailly add something to the table...

But you know.. devils in the details, so we'll see

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    This is catering to the masses not to the so called "pros". The "pros" already have access to the stems which is how they make their remix in the first place. The isolated vocal aka "the acapella " is already out there for just about every other song. There are only going to be 4 stems, 1 being vocals, that leaves 3 others, doesn't really leave a lot considering how may individual tracks make up a song. I guess there will be an entire drum stem of all the drums together, a lead stem, a bass stem and vocals and then whatever they decide needs to be isolated like strings, or rhythm parts but with there only being 4 tracks available it can be limited. If you look hard enough the stems are out there already for a lot of stuff. I have used stems to do what I call a "rework" which is really just doing my own mix of the song only using the stems. There are a couple on my soundcloud. I don't think its anything I would ever use to DJ with, I don't use the remix decks either.
    Nothing to really rule out an 8-stem format down the track, perhaps using the knobs on top of the D2 for the additional 4 volume controls for the extra stems in question, though it may not be really necessary or as popular compared to the 4-stem format being proposed. It will really depend on how well the initial Stems format itself goes in the first year or so. Also, given the open format approach of Stems itself, what's to stop Serato, Deckadance or another DJing software implementing a 8-stem version of Stems themselves?
    Last edited by Notanon; 04-11-2015 at 04:49 AM.

I would rather have increased functionality in the remix decks as opposed to some "new". I'll admit this is prprobably a pretty creative and powerful feature. But it's definitely not for everyone.
    Current Set Up: Denon DN X1600, 2x Kontrol X1 MK1, Traktor Kontrol F1, Macbook Pro, Traktor Pro 2 LIVE & LET RAVE
    SoundCloud YouTube

Tech Guru

NI have updated their home page with a big bold advert for Stems: "A new DJ era", which is an almost Pioneer level of pretentious bullshit.

However, most interesting part was this:

snip.jpg

The F1 gets a specific mention, which means there's going to be a specific NI mapping for it. This is good news for F1 owners, but then begs the question:

What are the pads going to pad whilst the faders are fading?
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    NI have updated their home page with a big bold advert for Stems: "A new DJ era", which is an almost Pioneer level of pretentious bullshit.

However, most interesting part was this:

snip.jpg

The F1 gets a specific mention, which means there's going to be a specific NI mapping for it. This is good news for F1 owners, but then begs the question:

What are the pads going to pad whilst the faders are fading?
    My guess is individual cue points for each stem or some other sort of transport control.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Notanon View Post
    My guess is individual cue points for each stem or some other sort of transport control.
    Or Mute On/Off for each individual stem.

I don't think we're getting individual cue's or loop functions: the track plays as a whole, it's only the processing of the sound (volume, fx) of the different stems that can be played with, so yeah, i'm curious how they'll map the f1 too.anybody got any clever ideas about controllers that ll workbnicely with this? So far I've heard:
    D2 (obviously)
    F1 (as mentioned)
    DJTT MF Twister (control volume of 4 stems* 4 decks with 16 encoders)
    Reloop contour (has 4 obsolete faders just waiting for this)

Any additions?
    Traktor Pro 2.6.8, Ableton Live 9, Allen & Heath Xone:K2, Traktor Kontrol F1, Reloop Contour Interface Edition, Traktor Audio 2, Midi Fighter Twister Asus N56VZ 15" Core i7 rd gen laptop on Windows 10.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Deksel View Post
    I don't think we're getting individual cue's or loop functions: the track plays as a whole, it's only the processing of the sound (volume, fx) of the different stems that can be played with, so yeah, i'm curious how they'll map the f1 too.anybody got any clever ideas about controllers that ll workbnicely with this? So far I've heard:
    D2 (obviously)
    F1 (as mentioned)
    DJTT MF Twister (control volume of 4 stems* 4 decks with 16 encoders)
    Reloop contour (has 4 obsolete faders just waiting for this)

Any additions?
    Behringer CMD PL-1 has an abundance of buttons and encoders that would fit the bill
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Behringer CMD PL-1 has an abundance of buttons and encoders that would fit the bill
    Also the CNTRL:R from Livid.

Any Stem demo tracks available to try chaps?
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast