pioneer ddj-sr or Traktor s4
    Tech Convert

Default pioneer ddj-sr or Traktor s4

Hello everyone. I am pretty new to the dj world and have only been mixing on my buddies SR for a few months. I have fell in love with it and now its time to start my owe set up. I really like his SR and the with the 16 pads it makes it a lot of fun. And i know I want to add the Traktor F1 some day since I'm really into remixing songs up. I been looking at reviews on both the sr and the s4 and cannot make my mind up. which one is better and why. is there really any big difference between the two. I just need some help please. thanks

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by melymel5 View Post
    Hello everyone. I am pretty new to the dj world and have only been mixing on my buddies SR for a few months. I have fell in love with it and now its time to start my owe set up. I really like his SR and the with the 16 pads it makes it a lot of fun. And i know I want to add the Traktor F1 some day since I'm really into remixing songs up. I been looking at reviews on both the sr and the s4 and cannot make my mind up. which one is better and why. is there really any big difference between the two. I just need some help please. thanks
    If your intention is to use Traktor, get the S4

If your intention is to use Serato, get the SR

P.S. I have the SR

Tech Convert

I don't know which one I plan on using but i know the SR works with both

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by melymel5 View Post
    I don't know which one I plan on using but i know the SR works with both
    My Rice Cooker can do Pasta too, but it makes more sense to use a stove

Works, yes. Works as well as the S4 with Traktor - nope.

Firstly the jog wheels are nowhere near as responsive and the labeling doesn't exactly match.

The remix deck functions on the S4 are going to be heaps better as well with color coding and scroll functions - most of what the f1 does you will be able to do with the S4.

Also the S4 has more inputs, channels and can be used for DVS as well.

If I was going to use Traktor I'd most likely go with the S4/S2 unless I was going completely modular or needed a multi-function controller to use with other software.

Personally I prefer the build of the SR, but wouldn't dream of using it with Traktor when theres dedicated controllers that IMHO do the job "better".

At this point Tekki will probably move the post to the Hardware Forum hehe ...
    Last edited by deevey; 03-31-2015 at 06:07 PM.

Also somehting to think about twice is the fact that the traktor S4 has four channels on the deck.

I also have the ddj sr, and I know you could use four decks as well (two decks on one channel) but in my experience it's not so convenient.

Tech Convert

what controllers would do the job better

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Moved to hardware forum.

Tech Mentor

Stick with the controller that natively runs the software you prefer.

The S4 loses a lot of functionality running Serato, and the DDJ-SR loses a lot of functionality running Traktor.