Deep House/House Music Organization

Default Deep House/House Music Organization

Hey All.

Newbie here. I've started to organize my music library, which I have neglected for so long and has definitely hindered my ability to move forward in terms of making mixes, and whatnot.

Just a question for all the deep house/house people out there.

How do you go about organizing what your playlists and what you will play? There is so much versatility and sub genres within.

Thanks so much.

Tech Mentor

The genre doesn't matter, you have to know your music, you have to know the track. You can build playlists based on what works best with what.

Tech Guru

You can create your own sub genres by how the tracks sound to you. Get similar tracks in the same groups and give names to these groups (I give numbers), don't bother following how people name it, in the end it doesn't matter.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

There's software like beatunes that will help you categorize music with things like colors and moods for the "feel" of a track.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

You'll have to figure out what works for you, as everyone is different. For my own preference, things are broken down into percussive/ sexy/ melodic/ vocal ect...

No matter what setup you go with, you'll end up changing it at some point so don't fret too much.

also don't be afraid to shelve some tunes to keep down the clutter.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Mentor

I keep what I only LOVE. Remove what I do not. Sub-genres, comments and smart-crates are you best friend. Being organized is only part of the equation. You are organizing your music in order to have a more improved set, workflow. So in reality, organizing crates is what you need to focus on. I have researched so many different ways of organizing digital music in the past 15 years. I've got it down to a beautiful science that "WORKS FOR ME". This is what you need to figure out. You can organize music to a tee, but if you don't have a system of recall, you are pretty much just wasting your time. Hoarding is so easy to do now. This is partially because 1:There is no physical dimension to your music expect for your laptop, sd/usb, or hard drive. 2: Easier access to music. For every one great song you find, there are 100 poorly produced songs. At this point in time, it really is harder to DELETE music, than to keep it. Point being...a DJ is about being unique and selective. Your music collection should be the pride of what separates you from the REST of the mediocre DJ's.

I just dont download anything I feel is iffy. My entire collection is songs I know I can play out, and the folders are dated from when I download songs. I just know where everything is.