Newbie needs Controller help please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newbie needs Controller help please

Hi everyone. I've read through threads and researched online but I'm still stuck between a rock and a hard place. I am an avid music lover and have decided to purchase a controller and become a bedroom or living room dj! I just want to be able to mix 2 songs together simultaneously, slow music down, mix vocals over beats, loop a part of a song so i can have it on repeat, do some scratching, bringing verses back, just messing around with my music. I don’t want to spend more than $400 on the controller and these have been recommended

Traktor Kontrol s2
    Pioneer ddj
    pioneer xdj-r1
    I have also seen Numark, Denon, and Hercules come up
    Does anyone have a recommendation for one that will best suit me? I would like to just be able to plug into my Windows laptop, install the software and start using right away.

I found this beginners guide but it feels like it's to much for me
    http://www.digitaldjtips.com/dj-controllers-guide-2015/

AudioTech m40x headphones – Are these good for using with a controller? I already own a pair so would like to just keep them.

I'm gonna get speakers/amp later on.

Are there any other controller “accessories” that you recommend? I have read about needing to purchase soundcards for certain controllers but would really like to limit on extra stuff I need before I can do anything if possible.

Heres a cool video of mixing for reading my thread

Tech Convert

I was in the same boat awhile ago. I have heard some ok things about to S2 but I'm not a big fan or traktor or its software. I have the pioneer ddi-sx2 and love it and love serato. Its very user friendly. as far as the xdm-r1 I think thats more of a cheap CDJ setup but someone correct me if I'm wrong. Have you ever used a controller before, If so that might make ur choice easy. take a look at the ddi-SR., Thats a pretty solid controller but if your just going to be mixing in your bed room and thats it the s2 might be enough. But just know it gets addicting and you will want to upgrade hahaha.

Numark Mixtrack Pro III?
    Aaron Benjamin
    soundcloud.com/djaaronbenjamin
    facebook.com/djaaronbenjamin

Tokyo/Toronto

Go to your music/DJ store, see if you can get hands on the products, see how they react, feel, what software you feel comfortable using. Don't get drawn into the 'industry standard' speak.
    There are different types of controller, all in one, which provide all the necessary buttons, encoders and sliders for basic and intermediate DJ use. (2 deck one mixer configuration) and normally have a soundcard built in, ready to connect to sound system.
    Then ya got the modular setups, which consist of different controllers, all shapes, makes and sizes, that deal with basic DJ functions, right up to the dizzy heights of what the software allows, and you'll see setups where DJ's have a few different controllers for different aspects of the control of the software, a good example of this (but not exclusive to) is DJ'ing with Ableton. You will need a sound interface (external soundcard) for these types. Some examples, Novation Control XL, NI Kontrol X1, Novation Launchpad, AKAI APC40 (production tool, but can be used for DJ'ing too) Midi fighter Twister, google these to find out more info..
    You want to scratch, you gonna need something with decent jog wheels, most reviews should cover this.
    You may be surprised to realise that the software will play a big part in this. The traktor controllers are configured for traktor software, and other controllers may be affiliated to other progs such as serato, offering an easy to operate out of the box scenario. It's something you will have to consider. Denon for example push the Serato thing, as does pioneer, and depending on offers or spec, will give you a full version of serato, but these controllers are awesome when mapped to Traktor.
    In respect of the "all in ones" Controller 'accessories' don't really exist, they are generally designed to be used as an all in one dj solution when hooked into a computer/laptop, and most now don't have soundcard issues, they are generally built in now (unless you go modular) A lower specced controller may hamper your creativity down the line. But easy to overcome, you'll either upgrade, or buy something to enhance your existing setup. For example, I use a Novation Launchpad with my Denon 6KMk2 for advanced Traktor controls.
    As for headphones, that's your call, those Audio Technica are pretty good cans and I personally don't see a problem, with you using them, but the problem with em from a DJ angle, is that they are studio monitors, and with the very nature of DJ'ing being very harsh on headphones, don't be surprised if they become damaged. Most DJ headphones are hinged, are slightly more flexible and are designed to be a bit more robust than your normal listen at home/studio types.
    A lot of DJ's swear by Sennheiser HD25, I personally use Denon HP-700, upgraded from Sony MDR700, and I can't complain..
    Last edited by DJAdeSands; 04-07-2015 at 01:38 PM.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

You can pickup a vestax typhoon on the cheap due to vestax being no longer... I snagged one for $175 canadian new in box has serato Dj Intro which is great to learn on... Alternatively a mix track pro 3 would be a good option for but more cash... If I already didn't have a slew of controllers I likely would buy one but I currently have 3 spares and 1 primary so unless I unload some gear which I still might I can imagine Id pick up anymore.... Especially since have an xdj-rx on order

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Pro Audio Star are doing the Vestax VCI 380 for just $409 BRAND NEW right now! Thats a Serious Bargain

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vestax-VCI-3...item4633f3471b

Yup I believe the Reds are on sale everywhere a good choice

Quote Originally Posted by melymel5 View Post
    I was in the same boat awhile ago. I have heard some ok things about to S2 but I'm not a big fan or traktor or its software. I have the pioneer ddi-sx2 and love it and love serato. Its very user friendly. as far as the xdm-r1 I think thats more of a cheap CDJ setup but someone correct me if I'm wrong. Have you ever used a controller before, If so that might make ur choice easy. take a look at the ddi-SR., Thats a pretty solid controller but if your just going to be mixing in your bed room and thats it the s2 might be enough. But just know it gets addicting and you will want to upgrade hahaha.
    I guess the software and controller itself being user friendly would be nice. I've played with a 4 deck (i think thats the right terminology) controller at the store last weekend but I forgot what kind it was.

Is the Vestax 380 an "all in one" controller or a "modular"? Does it have the soundcard built in so I wont have to buy one?

Are the jog wheels good on it so I can scratch with no problems?

Is the software for the Vestax 380 ok with a Windows laptop? I dont have enough money to buy a Macbook just for this!

Dj Ade Sands, do you say my headphones will get damaged because you have to take them on and off over and over when you dj?

IS that Vestax 380 on sale because of the color!? Not a fan of the color

This review says the Vestax 380 is "In short, the Vestax VCI-380 is not cheap, but if you want the ultimate two-deck Serato ITCH controller, this is it." but the reviews do have some people complaining but like with anything....happy customers arent gonna be online, they'll be to busy enjoying the product.
    http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2012/05...dj-controller/

So does everyone think the Vestax 380 is gonna be my best bet for something under $400 (or right around there)??

Tech Wizard

Get an S2 if you are looking to work with traktor. You can get one for cheap on eBay. If not, any of the Pioneer DDJ line is good. I use a DDJ SR on a daily basis, and have a DDJ SX that I use for weddings. Both of those are out of your price range, though. I just had a friend get a DDJ SB, that he got for 250. It also comes with Serato Intro, so you are set on software.

The headphones you have will be fine for the time being. As you play more, you'll learn more about what you want/don't want in a pair of headphones.

Spend as little as possible right away. Once you know that you are really going to be doing this, then spend the money. I still have a guitar and amp that I spent $700 on collecting dust in my office.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast