Need help with routing. (Cables, Soundcard, Software)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Need help with routing. (Cables, Soundcard, Software)

Hi All,

I wanted to setup a home studio for my DJing, so I purchased following gear:
    1. Traktor X1 MkII
    2. Scarlett 2i4 - Audio Interface
    3. NX Audio - Carbon3 External Mixer (3 Channels)

I use traktor pro 2.7 for my DJing and my settings are as follows:

Audio Setup: selected scarlet audio interface as my sound card

Output Routing:
    Deck A - Outputs 1 and 2
    Deck B - Outputs 3 and 4

Below are the images of how I have connected between scarlett and the external mixer:

Scarlett back:

External Mixer back:

Front panel of scarlet:

I have set the direct monitor knob to 100% playback and set monitor volume to 100%.

Problems that I'm facing:

1. I can hear music playing on my CH2 (Outputs 1&2 of scarlett) of mixer only when I set the direct monitor knob to 100% playback and monitor knob is set to 100%. If I reduce the volume there, then the volume is lowered in my mixer's CH2.

2. The output from CH3 (Outputs 3&4 of scarlett) is always heard not matter what the setting is on the monitor knobs.

3. Output on CH3 is loud when compared to the output of CH2.

Am I missing some setting in software?

Are my connections correct?

I know scarlett 2i4 is not meant for DJing. But I need just two channels on my mixer which scarlett can easily provide and also it fits in perfectly for production setup.

I thought when I connect it the way I have did now, I would get the outputs directly to CH2 and CH3 on my external mixer and I would not have to touch scarlett to control the volume of my outputs coming from traktor software.
    Last edited by tekki; 04-16-2015 at 04:59 PM.

Moving this as its more of a question than a setup thread mate. Are you trying to monitor off the mixer or directly from your soundcard?
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Moving this as its more of a question than a setup thread mate. Are you trying to monitor off the mixer or directly from your soundcard?
    I want to monitor using my external mixer not using the soundcard

DJ Rams, first of all: I am impressed. You are probably the first new member on DJTT that has posted proper screen shots of Traktor settings, connections etc.

As far as I can see, you've set everything right. Position of the monitor knob and volume should have no impact on the output of 1&2 and 3&4 channels from RCA's, only on the signal coming out of headphone socket.
    So, my only guess is that it's a signal routing problem.

Scarlett should be using ASIO drivers and I see you have under Traktor Audio setting selected a USB driver (with a high latency). Does Scarlett also supply a ASIO driver? Try changing that and see if it helps.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Convert

Default @SlayforMoney, Thank You :)

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    DJ Rams, first of all: I am impressed. You are probably the first new member on DJTT that has posted proper screen shots of Traktor settings, connections etc.

As far as I can see, you've set everything right. Position of the monitor knob and volume should have no impact on the output of 1&2 and 3&4 channels from RCA's, only on the signal coming out of headphone socket.
    So, my only guess is that it's a signal routing problem.

Scarlett should be using ASIO drivers and I see you have under Traktor Audio setting selected a USB driver (with a high latency). Does Scarlett also supply a ASIO driver? Try changing that and see if it helps.
    I will try the settings and let you know

I don't have any experience with the Scarlett 2i4 but I have a similar set up with a komplete audio 6 - one of the channels is set to the main out and the other is set to use the digital out. There is a volume knob on top of the komplete that effects the main out so If I don't have that knob at unity gain (all the way up), the main channel will be quieter than the digital channel. My solution is just to keep it at unity and use the faders on the mixer for volume when I'm doing non-dj stuff.

Tech Convert

Default Same as my situation

Quote Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
    I don't have any experience with the Scarlett 2i4 but I have a similar set up with a komplete audio 6 - one of the channels is set to the main out and the other is set to use the digital out. There is a volume knob on top of the komplete that effects the main out so If I don't have that knob at unity gain (all the way up), the main channel will be quieter than the digital channel. My solution is just to keep it at unity and use the faders on the mixer for volume when I'm doing non-dj stuff.
    Hi Nick,

I too have the same situation. I have keep the monitor knob to 100% and control the volume in my mixer.
    Actually I was more fascinated in buying Komplete Audio 6 than scarlett 2i4. But I had to buy scarlett because of the difference the price.

Its definitely the soundcard. Your routings and plugs look fine.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    Position of the monitor knob and volume should have no impact on the output of 1&2 and 3&4 channels from RCA's, only on the signal coming out of headphone socket.
    Just looked online, have no choice but to correct myself

If you're using your unbalanced line outputs to send audio to an external mixer from your Scarlett 2i4 and you notice that outputs 3 & 4 are louder than outputs 1 & 2 this may be due to your monitor knob setting on the front of your 2i4. It's important to remember that volume for both balanced and unbalanced outputs 1 & 2 are controlled by your monitor knob on the front of your 2i4. Therefore if you're experiencing less signal from outputs 1 & 2 than 3 & 4, make sure that your monitor volume is set the maxium output volume to ensure that both sets of unbalanced outputs are sending equal volume levels to the two channels on your external mixer. This is essential when using your 2i4 for djing as having unqual input volumes could cause uneven levels when crossfading from track to track.
    So it seem it's just the way the audio routing is set up internally. Keep volume knob to 100% and monitor to playback. Adjust gains on your mixer.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Mentor

i run this exact set up

try to see turn the adjustment on the headphone cue gain, as that is typically what controls 3/4 and your master controls 1/2
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast