Should DJs care about scene visuals?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Should DJs care about scene visuals?

Guys, do you provide yourselves with scene visuals generally? or it is none of DJ's work?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by xllasha View Post
    Guys, do you provide yourselves with scene visuals generally? or it is none of DJ's work?
    Speaking as a LJ, VJ and DJ I personally feel Dj's should focus on the Music and let the Visuals Guys handle the visuals - doing both together properly is pretty much impossible - at least as far as regular DJ'ing goes.

Live production on the other hand can be tied to visuals very well, but I can count on one hand the number of good DJ's or performers I've seen who are also good visual artists or even have the smarts to run, program or create a decent visual show.

I have to assume by Visuals you mean "proper" visualizations and not just music videos of the songs themselves right ?

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    I have to assume by Visuals you mean "proper" visualizations and not just music videos of the songs themselves right ?
    Exactly! Backstage monitor visuals i mean and not video clips.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey
    Speaking as a LJ...
    larry-johnson-grandmama.jpg
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I don't mess with it. Most clubs around here have a guy who runs lights and visuals so if anything I throw him a spare USB that has my logo, etc on it.

Music. That's all I do..
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

unless you are rocking smpte 4 deck pioneer doodads like armin, chances are its best to leave the visuals to the visuals guy...

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    unless you are rocking smpte 4 deck pioneer doodads like armin, chances are its best to leave the visuals to the visuals guy...
    All that does is send the cues to the Visuals Guys so they can do their thing

Tech Wizard

As a mobile DJ and DJ at a small "club," I've had to program and run my own light show. It's definitely a good skill to have. Now I'm nowhere near as good or talented as the guys doing the big shows, but I'd rather be able to put on a pretty decent light show than have everything on sound active and ignore it.

THe last thing I'd want to worry about is visuals all I want to do is play music and have fun.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast