Do you think its a good thing to give them a choice?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you think its a good thing to give them a choice?

Im in the planning stage for a upcoming prom and dont think I have enough of a certain genre of music. so I sent out a google form to the seniors attending the prom for suggestions with the restrictions that they can only pick one song, non explicit and with the condition that even though they choose a song it may or may not be included into the playlist what do you think.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

I think you'll get loads of people asking for the same songs - all the ones you already know.
    You're the dj - it's your job to select music that will entertain and educate the floor.
    SC | MC

So far Ive gotten 5 responses and I have two of the songs that were reqested so far so good if it keeps up like this lol.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Tech Guru

It's not good to give them a choice, they will choose different things from each other and someone will always think you suck.

Take control of the shit.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

the Good : You might find some good new tunes

the Bad : You might get a lot of shitty tune requests.

the Ugly : [Drunk girl on Prom Night who sent you a request form for Fleetwood Mac - Landslide] "You haven't played my song !!! Play it ! Play it now !!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Daniboy View Post
    It's not good to give them a choice, they will choose different things from each other and someone will always think you suck.

Take control of the shit.
    I heard the last DJ really sucked lol so Im a step up no matter what.

as long as the "your tune may not get played" is in bold i don't see a problem. it's their prom after all. it's cool to give them songs they like.

and unless stevie nicks daughter is at the prom stay away from fleetwood mac. :P

I agree with Nicky H. You are the DJ so I'd expect you to know what to play without taking requests. Im also of the opinion (although I know this is not shared by everyone) that you you shouldn't take gigs that you aren't prepared for. By that I mean if you are a techno DJ and don't own a collection of drum and bass tunes then don't take a gig for a drum and bass night. Same here, if you aren't prepared for a prom and you don't own the right kind of tunes to play a prom, then don't take the gig. Like I said though, I know this last point isn't shared by everyone here.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

If its between a horribly painful death and listening to Justin Bieber, 1 order of death please.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    I agree with Nicky H. You are the DJ so I'd expect you to know what to play without taking requests. Im also of the opinion (although I know this is not shared by everyone) that you you shouldn't take gigs that you aren't prepared for. By that I mean if you are a techno DJ and don't own a collection of drum and bass tunes then don't take a gig for a drum and bass night. Same here, if you aren't prepared for a prom and you don't own the right kind of tunes to play a prom, then don't take the gig. Like I said though, I know this last point isn't shared by everyone here.
    i would agree with you except how hard can it be to prepare for a prom gig? granted you may not have the latest vine video remix everybody loves but the other 90% of stuff should be pretty easy to find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast