Questions on new laptop

Default Questions on new laptop

Hey all, quick question here...

I do most of my producing on my Macbook, but I recently came across a nice and cheap Asus on Amazon that I bought for basic internet browsing and such... Of course, me being me, I decided to install Ableton onto it...

Here's the dilemma.. At work I have a set of 2.1 computer speakers and occasionally I would bring my Mac in and do some small stuff using those speakers and it was working out ok. Today, I brought in the new PC to try out and after plugging into the 2.1 speakers, I have like zero low end playing from the speakers. I checked all of the computers equalizers and all of that and it made no difference. Could this be due to the computer having a weak soundcard? If you need me to post specs then I can, but for now I'm just curious if a shit soundcard could be the case.

Thanks

edit/ It sounds totally fine when at home and running through my 2i4 obviously
    Last edited by Kwal; 04-28-2015 at 09:01 AM.

Tech Guru

It is not clear how the laptop is connected to the 2.1 speakers "at work." Are you using the onboard headphone jack? If so....

Have you tested that headphone jack with headphones?
    Have you tested that headphone jack with your home setup bypassing the 2i4?
    Does the connection from the 2.1 speakers to the Asus seat fully and properly? I have a LOT of issues getting a good connection to my iPhone with the case on. In order to connect the iPhone to my 2.1 speakers I have to remove the case to get the connector to seat properly. The general symptom of a bad connection is wimpy sound.

It is possible that the headphone jack does have a flaw. BUT, if the onboard sound interface is flawed, I would expect lower total output, not a high pass effect.

It sounds like the macbook+2.1 speakers is sounding OK. Do you have another portable player that you can test with the 2.1 speakers? It is possible that the macbook has some "bass boost" enabled that might be coloring the sound.

As a "last resort" you could always get an inexpensive sound interface to use with the Asus at work.

Good luck.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

I plug the work speakers in directly into the headphone jack. I used headphones with the Asus yesterday for the first time and the sound was kinda flimsy as well, but I wasn't able to really notice until I tried it with the 2.1 set today since it has a small sub.

The connection is snug too. It's just got this epic highpass on it somehow.

Does the Asia laptop have another 3.5 jack on back left corner? Some Asia laptops came with optional extenal sub and if yours did it may be routing low end through sub port.... Also important to note that f it was a budget line model you maybe SOL

It's for a sure a budget model it's a 4GB ram 500GB hd on it for a quick $250. I had a feeling it was because it's a cheap model with a mediocre soundcard in it.

Figured it out guys

Had to go into audio settings, and instead of playing around with EQs and all that, I just had to disable all audio enhancements. Not sure how the audio was enhanced since it sounded like absolute ass but whatever works it sounds great now!

Yeah more then likely my advice is pick up a cheap $20 USB sound card

It hits just like the Mac now so no worries. This was just to be able to use the work speakers. It hits just fine with my 2i4 at home. Problem solved!