What do you guys think about DJ Schools - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

There's literally nothing you can learn at a DJ school that you couldn't off your own back with some YouTube searches and listening/watching a load of live sets. I guarantee you there isn't a single thing they would teach you that you couldn't learn from one of us here/

<oldfart>For decades, DJs have been learning the craft to excel without any help from others at all. You're spoilt for information right now. Forums, video steams, mix hosting sites, digital music stores... I had none of that to learn from, and that was 'only' 1998! If I can learn with only a few Helter Skelter mixtape packs, a couple of second hand records and shitty belt drive turntables, you can damn well put in some elbow grease and learn from your own mistakes.</oldfart>
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    There's literally nothing you can learn at a DJ school that you couldn't off your own back with some YouTube searches and listening/watching a load of live sets. I guarantee you there isn't a single thing they would teach you that you couldn't learn from one of us here/

<oldfart>For decades, DJs have been learning the craft to excel without any help from others at all. You're spoilt for information right now. Forums, video steams, mix hosting sites, digital music stores... I had none of that to learn from, and that was 'only' 1998! If I can learn with only a few Helter Skelter mixtape packs, a couple of second hand records and shitty belt drive turntables, you can damn well put in some elbow grease and learn from your own mistakes.</oldfart>
    I hear you Dan, and I would love to give a long, drawn out response.

However, I will just say this:

If someone wanted to learn how to box (my former sport) and they told me that they could learn on their own as opposed to going to a gym, then they would get nowhere.

When you're good enough you can train on your own. When you're not good, you need advice a guidance (and it usually helps when it's in the flesh).

DJing is the same. All pursuits which are skill based are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmDeXXX View Post
    I hear you Dan, and I would love to give a long, drawn out response.

However, I will just say this:

If someone wanted to learn how to box (my former sport) and they told me that they could learn on their own as opposed to going to a gym, then they would get nowhere.

When you're good enough you can train on your own. When you're not good, you need advice a guidance (and it usually helps when it's in the flesh).

DJing is the same. All pursuits which are skill based are the same.
    DJing isn't a competitive sport. You aren't going up against anyone face to face, so the comparison is irrelevant. My point isn't that everyone should learn to DJ locked in a room somewhere, its that with the resource on the web these days, DJ schools are just there to take money from suckers or lazy people. Like I said: There isn't anything related to the art that we all on this forum couldn't answer.

EDIT: and find some people in your area that you can jam with once a month or so. Just play 30 minute sets or three on three off b2b. You'd be surprised how much that helps. I can't believe we're even having this discussion in 2015.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3

OK mate.

I think the best advice was:

IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT, DO IT.

Denying someone a learning experience based on your own views is silly. It's like saying to a child in school "Oh, you don't need tuition because I don't like it."

Who are you to decide what's good for others?

What's the point of asking for advice if you don't like what you hear? The argument for going is weak: "If you have money to waste, do it". The argument against is a lot stronger: "There's plenty of resources you can tap into otherwise, so save your money and buy something nice and shiny for your setup, or put it towards a newer laptop/PS4/Apple Watch/[insert cool toy]".

I didn't ask for advice, I just think that your view of learning (anything) is incorrect and rather oldfartish, as you said yourself

Being given direct, physical advice by people who are better at something than you is rarely useless.

The real question might be: Are the DJ schools value for money? But denying that they might have some value is folly.

Is there a lot of material you can get from the web, yes. Is it better than a direct lesson from an experienced teacher, fuck no.
    Imagine you learn scratching, you can watch dj angelo tutorials for example which are great and yes you can learn like that BUT who's going to tell YOU to position your hand, your fingers in such a way, to correct your position to a perfect spot. The video? are you kidding me?

Now try to learn ableton, which has quite a learning curve (for me at least). Yes you can get help from others, yes you can find tutorials and a lot of stuff around. And yes maybe you can learn like that (as many have probably done) and that will take you 1 year to reach a specific point. But taking a course may well make you gain 6 months to reach that point too just for the sake of getting right away the correct practices and avoiding common pitfalls.

Likewise talking about motivation we're all different, some may well work alone, others do need to find themselves in a motivational environment. It is how it is.

and just for the sake of it:
    The argument against is a lot stronger: "There's plenty of resources you can tap into otherwise, so save your money and buy something nice and shiny for your setup, or put it towards a newer laptop/PS4/Apple Watch/[insert cool toy]".
    does that mean you'll learn correctly?
    Now if one think he can learn without any kind of feedback, he's sorely mistaken. Nothing to do with being in 2015...

I'm out of this thread, it's becoming stupid.

edit: back to the OP.
    I think I could get a lot out of a DJ school, I'd like to really get beat matching down plus I think getting trained by a "famous" DJ would be really cool lol.
    On the other hand, do you need to get lesson from a dj school for that specific point. Maybe not has nobody is going to train your ear. However you might get acces to gear you don't have have home so why not.
    I think you're mistaken if you think you'll find famous djs at dj school. Don't get me wrong, some may be or were, but that's just a very small percentage.
    Last edited by Yul; 05-01-2015 at 07:15 AM.
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

You guys both make valid points about going and not going. Personally I learn best by seeing someone do it if in person or on the web. I couldn't say look at a manual and figure out beatmatching to save my life, But I leaned how to cook BBQ ribs (which I had last night and were absolutely delicious) from YouTube. I've looked at a dozen beatmatching videos on YouTube and have not come across one that I understood. As far as resources equipment wise I think Im more than adequate in that dept. On a side note I respectfully ask that we keep this thread civil so we can hear other folks opinions thanks.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Never went to school for a thing about music, I cared about it enough to do all of the research required for me to overcome any obstacle in the process.

Whether it be producing or DJing.. Start doing it, when you hit a brickwall, Google it and learn how to overcome the specific issue and continue on. Rinse and repeat. Going to those schools cost like thousands of dollars, do you have the money for it or would you put the burden on your guardians? I have this gut feeling you're young so that's why I ask that. I can't justify the costs for those school for someone to teach you to keep the songs at the same bpm, find the first kick of the track and set your cue, 4 kicks = 1 bar, etc. It's not something you write down in a notebook you just challenge yourself daily and you'll get better.

I wouldn't really do it but if it was with someone like rob swift or q bert i might be down.
    But as alot have said, alot can be learned online.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast