What do you guys think about DJ Schools
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What do you guys think about DJ Schools

I've been thinking about going to a DJ school for a few lessons what do you guys think of them?
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

what arent you getting?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Convert

I don't have a problem with them. I never went to a dj school because they wren't available when I was coming up, but if it makes people better dj's, then more power to it.

Don't do it.
    Unless you want to totally remove the fun out of learning, and applying your own style to the mix.
    Listen to other dj's see what you like / don't like to hear others do and try to emulate that, and then develop that by yourself.
    Not saying dj schools are bad, I'm sure they do the necessary learning. But really, all the things you'll be taught at a dj school are all online. Including here.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

i think in this day and age with the way technology has enhanced DJing schools are a little irrelevent for me. I started over 16 years ago now and back then there wasnt much room for elaboration, you had to have 2 turntables and a mixer (CDJs were something that was just coming about in a viable form to use) - everyone used the same kit so the theory was pretty much the same - beatmatching, cueing up tracks, eq and fx etc etc, there were a few slightly different aproaches to it but the end result was the same. Now the technology varies from booth to booth and dj to dj so i would say find your own path, if your struggling to do that make your own, it is certainly way more accessable to it than it used to be. Is there anything in particular you feel you are not understanding or getting the hang of?

If you can afford it, you should do it.

If you can't, do what the rest of us do.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I think it's a great idea, sometimes within a learning curve there are points where you would really beneficiate from direct help from others. Or sometimes just to get a different approach. Being within a dedicated, learning environment, with like minded people (or at least people having the same goals as you) is absolutely great. You can make contacts, it's refreshing, motivating, etc, etc...
    It's a lot of things a forum community of mostly hobbyists can't really bring you via posts.

The two main issues are:
    - is the school serious enough/ did the 'teachers' learned to teach/ is it structured
    - define your need(s), make sure it's understood by the school

I took lessons some years ago (after 10 years of djing) as I needed to work on some stuff I felt I needed help upon, and it was helpful.
    Now if I had a school like dubspot near me and if I had the money, f..k yeah I'll register right now. I need to work on scratching, producing, I like to learn the use of some gear, etc, etc... And no forums, videos, tutorials would be of greater help than direct lessons.
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can afford it, you should do it.
    This.

And also lots of what Yul said.

I think I could get a lot out of a DJ school, I'd like to really get beat matching down plus I think getting trained by a "famous" DJ would be really cool lol.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Quote Originally Posted by bc6 View Post
    I think I could get a lot out of a DJ school, I'd like to really get beat matching down plus I think getting trained by a "famous" DJ would be really cool lol.
    I learnt beat matching by

1) Ensuring the tempos were the same

2) Listening by ear and practicing over and over (and I still don't have it down pat)

3) Good DJ >>>> Famous DJ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast