Getting round out-of-phase beatgrids in Traktor
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Getting round out-of-phase beatgrids in Traktor

When I load a song in Traktor, quite often the tempo is perfect, but the grid is a bit off. So when I hit 'play', it brings the track in on the snare, when it should be the kick.

The way I get round this is by hitting 'play', then using the mouse to drag the song back to the first beat, and click and hold, then release at the right moment, as one would with a vinyl. Either that or I just hit play and nudge like hell till it is playing in phase.

Obviously this isn't the most elegant solution. Is there a way to press the play button that will ignore the beatgrid information? So that it plays when I tell it to play, as if I were 'releasing' the vinyl?

I have tried disabling 'sync', and this works. But as soon as I re-enable it, the song hops back out of phase.

Ps. I have done some searches to see if this has been covered already. I could only find stuff about manual beatgridding. That's not something I feel the need to do just yet. I couldn't find anything about pressing 'play' outwith the synchronization. If this has been discussed already, I'm sorry, and I'd appreciate any links or clues as to how to word the search in order to omit manual beatgrid threads.

Cheers.

As long as (as you said) the Traktor detected tempo is correct, do this:

Delete the incorrect grid.

Set a hot cue on the FIRST new grid marker (on the down beat).

Change hotcue type to "Grid".

Set a NEW hotcue on teh downbeat.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Use a right click to nudge it faster

I agree with above posters - I just regrid it on the fly. It's just as much time as lining up the cue point and turning sync off and that way it's fixed for the next time you play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanz the joiner View Post
    I could only find stuff about manual beatgridding. That's not something I feel the need to do just yet.
    well if the grids are out, then obviously you do not hard, just monotonous.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Yes yes, regrid or regrid on the fly. Other thing to do if ya don't want to do that is turn snap off. (beside quantize) and then go to the point you want to play from. Set the cue,

Fixing the beatgrid in the deck dropdown is the most effective way. Play with it, and you'll see how it works.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Tech Mentor

If tempo is correct but the track is jumping ahead 1 beat, just turn off sync and make sure both tracks tempos match. I always bring in my next track by settING an 8 beat loop and match that in the cans so if I see the beat jump ahead I know I can bring that sync meter all the way to the left and that will match the beat again and when I want to release the track it's set.

Cool, thanks for the responses.

Switching snap off works for setting cue points, but it doesn't seem to change Traktor's decision-making about playing the track, I've found.

I'm pretty determined not to fully regrid. So I'll have a go at regridding on the fly, see if I can learn to do it quickly enough.

DJ Matt Blaze, I don't fully understand your post, but it has inspired me to think of what I see as the ideal solution here: Set and play a loop with a length of 1 beat. From there I can disengage the loop so that the track is playing in its correct phase position, without any nudging. I think this seems quick enough for me to pull it off without significantly postponing anything.

Tech Wizard

When the beat grids are off, I just use the "tap" button on my controller to reset it on the fly. After about 4-5 beats it gets it right. I take it you've already tried that or something similar.

If your track is starting on the snare instead of the kick, I'm assuming you mean it is starting on beat 2 instead of beat 1. I mix tracks like that by pressing play on 2 instead of 1, that way everything lines up, no thinking involved. If it is on the off beat, or in a weird spot, I would make sure SNAP is off when you set the hotcue. This way you can set the cue point in a spot that is not on the beat.

Hope this helps. If there is anything that I can clarify/help with, let me know.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Lanz the joiner View Post
    Cool, thanks for the responses.

Switching snap off works for setting cue points, but it doesn't seem to change Traktor's decision-making about playing the track, I've found.

I'm pretty determined not to fully regrid. So I'll have a go at regridding on the fly, see if I can learn to do it quickly enough.

DJ Matt Blaze, I don't fully understand your post, but it has inspired me to think of what I see as the ideal solution here: Set and play a loop with a length of 1 beat. From there I can disengage the loop so that the track is playing in its correct phase position, without any nudging. I think this seems quick enough for me to pull it off without significantly postponing anything.
    When 2 tracks are the same tempo but not in sync you can see it on the meter, either to the left or right of center, if beat grids are correct, if the 2 tracks are in sync you won't see anything on the meter. If the beat grids aren't correct as in the case where it sees beat 2 as beat 1, the meter isn't going to show anything is wrong because the beat grid is off, but if you nudge the track back you will see the meter start to fill to the left, if you nudge all the way back as far as you can go before it jumps into the next beat which will put the meter on the right, a track that is a beat ahead will now be in sync. You can set a 1 beat loop but that's kind of quick, I always set an 8 beat loop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast