My first gig, i need some help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default My first gig, i need some help!

Hi, at the end of this month, on May 29th, im doing my first gig. its my local school's senior prom. i have a few issues i need addressing. my first issue is the speakers i have to use arent mine since i cant afford any right now. im borrowing from the school. they have old-style JVC speakers. IMG_2460.jpg. the picture shows the holes in the back that im guessing are the input. it seems the only thing that fits in there are male stereo jacks. http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BCD3000.aspx this is the link to the controller im buying, its very cheap and im on a strict budget. i just wanted know if i need to plug the RCA cables the controller uses into an adapter that then leads out to a stereo jack. the speakers are old and those are the only 2 holes of any kind on the entire speakers. there are 2 speakers. im using my laptop for the music, they are providing a mic that uses an XLR connector, no lights needed, and this controller im buying as soon as i can confirm that there is a way for me to use the controller with those speakers. if it cannot without the help of an adapter, im more than willing to buy said adapter. if adapters like that dont exist, then can anybody give me a link to a mixer/controller that does support that? thanks!

Hi mate,

Yups, you will either need to find some RCA>TRS or RCA>SPEAKON adaptors, That is going to be a PITA with all the splitting youwill need to do, as the BCD3000 only has 1 stereo out.
    I would look for a small mixing console to plug into first, these make things way easier.

Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

You need an amplifier. You can't go directly from the controller to the speakers, I am sure if the school has speakers they must have an amp. Without an amp you will get very little sound if any at all.

By the looks of those speakers, a regular hi-fi amp should do
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

I've never seen a speakon on any hifi speakers, you sure you don't mean old style JBL? Post the make and model of the speakers for more help

Controller/mixer to amp to speakers. As mentioned. You cannot go from a pre-amp mixer/controller to speakers directly. Any speaker I've ever used with speakon connector has needed an amp.
    You'll need something else to use a mic too.. that controller won't support a mic. That little console Jester mentioned will cover that. Yer gonna have to look to see what the amp I. (if it's available) If it's a powered mixer/amp, then that's your mic sorted, XLR M-XLR F/XLR M - TRS M if not, ya gotta find out what the inputs are, and hope they got the right cables for the speeks.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Tech Mentor

Your first gig and you haven´t bought the controller yet! Mind, the BCD is old and you might have to map it to the current Traktor software.

You can´t plug the main output of the BCD3000 to the speakers. As the speakers have speakon connectors, I guess they are passive.

When the speakers are passive, there will be an amp. Most of this amps have XLR inputs. Your BCD´s outputs are RCA.
    Normally, you connect the BCD´s output to a normal DJ mixer, which has XLR outputs. These mixer´s XLR outputs go straight to the amplifier´s input. From the amplifier the (speakon) cables go to the speakers.

Maybe you need simple mixer (like jester suggests) & XLR cables to connect your unbalanced output (RCA) into the balanced input (XLR) of the amplifier.

Go to your school and check what equipment they have! Ask for the whole setup and the guy whose responsible for the equipment. Take pictures and memorize brand/model. Then come back with more information and we will help you.

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

Quote Originally Posted by c0nsul View Post
    Your first gig and you haven´t bought the controller yet! Mind, the BCD is old and you might have to map it to the current Traktor software.

You can´t plug the main output of the BCD3000 to the speakers. As the speakers have speakon connectors, I guess they are passive.

When the speakers are passive, there will be an amp. Most of this amps have XLR inputs. Your BCD´s outputs are RCA.
    Normally, you connect the BCD´s output to a normal DJ mixer, which has XLR outputs. These mixer´s XLR outputs go straight to the amplifier´s input. From the amplifier the (speakon) cables go to the speakers.

Maybe you need simple mixer (like jester suggests) & XLR cables to connect your unbalanced output (RCA) into the balanced input (XLR) of the amplifier.

Go to your school and check what equipment they have! Ask for the whole setup and the guy whose responsible for the equipment. Take pictures and memorize brand/model. Then come back with more information and we will help you.
    ^^
    Spot on advice here. Be sure to talk to the person at the school that manages the speakers BEFORE the gig! Make sure they have an amp and the cables. See what kind of input is on the amp (RCA, 1/4" etc) and make sure you can connect your laptop/other gear to it.

I would also recommend getting there early to set up so you are not too rushed. Also, if you can find a cute "DJ helper" to take requests and talk to the crowd that can help you focus on DJing. Everyone wants to say hi when you are trying to transition! atleast that is what happens to me...

And lastly, don't introduce yourself as "DJ Pussycat"

i don't see this gig going well...

But good luck to you, mate!!!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast