Wierdest thing a venue owner offered for your services??
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37
  1. #1
    Tech Guru calgarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    1,439

    Default Wierdest thing a venue owner offered for your services??

    lol a fun little thread.

    What is the wierdest/dumbest/coolest etc... thing some one has ever offered you for your services??

    Just a few months ago I had a club owner give me tickets to an event and said "sell these, if you bring enough people into the club we may give you a spot to DJ maybe a bar-tending lesson"

  2. #2
    Tech Guru djproben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    2,705

    Default

    "Exposure". As in, "I can't pay you money but it will be great exposure!" Ugh.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

  3. #3

    Default

    yah i once had someone offer me a gig opening for a fairly big name act ( the gza), they wanted me to do it for free, for the exposure....i told them" sorry"

    they called me back ten minutes later and offered me 100.00.. i said sure thing.... and then i did it for the exposure.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

    http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

  4. #4
    Tech Guru calgarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    hah, one time i was hosting an event with friends, and a group walked in to the show and said "wait you mean we have to pay to get in"

  5. #5

    Default

    The bar I had a residency (contractual) at was hurting for money for a while and offered me a steak sandwich every thursday for 3 months if I'd play one night without pay. I got $120.00 per night plus $15.00 an hour.

    Obviously I took it. They were bitchin' sandwiches and I negotiated for potato salad with each one. Worth it.
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

  6. #6
    Tech Guru calgarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman View Post
    The bar I had a residency (contractual) at was hurting for money for a while and offered me a steak sandwich every thursday for 3 months if I'd play one night without pay. I got $120.00 per night plus $15.00 an hour.

    Obviously I took it. They were bitchin' sandwiches and I negotiated for potato salad with each one. Worth it.
    hah... i used to have a free residency at my friends venue when he first opened his doors, free wine and cake one of those fancy gluten free/organic places too. lol solid guy got some paid gigs out of him too...

  7. #7
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    "Exposure". As in, "I can't pay you money but it will be great exposure!" Ugh.
    http://www.refinery29.com/daily-worth/105#slide
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

  8. #8
    Tech Mentor A$H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    309

    Default

    I used to DJ in store for Harvey Nichols whenever they had a fashion show or a big shopping event. Despite being a huge store selling hundreds of luxury brands, it was always a hassle to try and get the agreed fee out of them.

    They once offered me a 80% discount on a 1200 leather jacket and said I could sell it on eBay to get more than my fee...

  9. #9
    Tech Guru SlayForMoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    1,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash Carr View Post
    I used to DJ in store for Harvey Nichols whenever they had a fashion show or a big shopping event. Despite being a huge store selling hundreds of luxury brands, it was always a hassle to try and get the agreed fee out of them.

    They once offered me a 80% discount on a 1200 leather jacket and said I could sell it on eBay to get more than my fee...
    Sweet. So they gave you a chance to DJ for them AND you had to spend with them +200
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

  10. #10
    Tech Guru Kwal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    "Exposure". As in, "I can't pay you money but it will be great exposure!" Ugh.
    lol my favorite one

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •