New DJ in Austin,TX. Need a few tips and suggestions. Plus First Promo Mix!
    Tech Convert

Default New DJ in Austin,TX. Need a few tips and suggestions. Plus First Promo Mix!

Ok so my first post on this thread was about two weeks ago, I needed some advice, got it, and it was a freaking SUCCESS! Thank you!
    Here is a clip I cut from my first set:

http://soundcloud.com/tracks/search?q=andrew_vo

Feedback on this would also be nice!

I thought I did alright, but everybody here in Austin ate it up!

This promoter for a house club called Karma here in Austin happened to be at the party I was DJ'ing at and wants me to spin a 3-hour set next saturday night!

Only problem is that this is only my second gig/show to play ever...

I followed the Ean's tips on how to become a successful DJ and let me tell you that those tips are like my new 10 commandments!

To cut to the chase... This dude wants me to spin at a club and I am getting nervous!

He asked that I play some electro/mashups/house

Can anyone share their experience and suggests a few must-play club bangin house hits to me that I am not aware of out there!?!?!?!?

Thanks Once Again DJTT Community!

-Andrew Vo

Tech Mentor

Ok heres my experience. If youre following Eans advice than you need to ask yourself how far do you want to take this DJing thing?

Im assuming at least domination of the Texas scene. So my advice is exposure!!! You need to try and go to every party that plays the kind of music you intend on spinning. Introduce yourself to people. Let them know youre a DJ. Business cards are a great ice breaker and help give you a professional edge. BE PROFESSIONAL! I cant stress that enough. Be very polite and cordial, they will find it supremely refreshing compared to the asshat "super star" DJs they could be dealing with. Make friends with other DJs that share similar interests and philosphies. Seeing as how youre new try and develop a mentorship with one.

AFTERPARTIES. dude that is huge! (not because of the bold print mind you) When I first started I couldnt get a break, I got invited to a house party and they had some CDJs set up and because I was already introducing myself as a DJ I got asked by a DJ to relieve him, I rocked out for about 2 hours and I got my first big gig.

PROMOTION. Find forums that have a strong local following, post your demos (make sure they are the very best you can do, find a DJ's demo you really like and compare), thats how I found my manager. With a manager you can really put yourself out there and get way more gigs.

RESPECT THE PECKING ORDER. This is something Im having an issue with since I feel I do a better job than some DJs, but they have one thing I dont, a bigger fan base. My fan base continues to grow, but until promoters start to notice how many people are showing up just for me, I wont be getting the prime spots just yet.

Lets see banging house tracks? Ill give you a top three of each style of house for starters.

Electro House:
    Wolfgang Gartners 5th Symphony
    Chromeo's Fancy FootWork
    Jordy Lishous's 1UP

Min/Tech House
    Geisha
    Lion of Judah (love that track)
    Addition by Subtraction (thats a definite banger)

Minimal Techno (I consider it housy and it works for me, raises peoples eyebrows cuz it sounds so familiar buts its not quite house if you get my meaning)

E-Love
    happy birthday by modeselektor
    Ying Yang

As far as mash ups go, you can always create your own on the fly. When you find a combo that works, put the name of the song that makes it a mashup in the comments section so you can readily find it.

Good luck in your journey!
    Hope I could be of help.
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

Tech Convert

DJ Animus, you are awesome man! I think you helped me with my first thread as well!

Tech Mentor

I do what I can =) This community aint shit if we dont help each other out in some capacity or another.
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!