Ripping vinyl. Best option?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Schalenberg

Default Ripping vinyl. Best option?

Just trying to figure out what would yield the best results in terms of sound quality: recording the record from the turntable directly to my macbook, recording through the record out on my DJM 900, or neither.

the more wiring it goes through the more the sound changes. I would just have it go to your soundcard or your DJm900 with NO eq or effects. run it into audacity, I find audacity has a fairly transparent sound and a great range of options for rendering the file

although you make get some artifacts from ripping depending on quality of the vinyl

Tech Guru

Do you have an audio interface? It's best to reduce the amount of signal conversion between the turntable and your computer.
    2x Technics sl 1200mk2, Vinyl, Shure m44-7, Xone 22, Audio Technica ATH M50X, Traktor A10, Maschine, Logic X, Ableton Live.

Quote Originally Posted by LoopCat View Post
    Do you have an audio interface? It's best to reduce the amount of signal conversion between the turntable and your computer.
    best to reduce the conversion... your DJM should suffice. although i would use my focusrite instead. I run my xone 62 through my scarlett, seeing as the xone is analog it works fine.

Schalenberg

Don't have an interface. So just record it through my mixer like I would a mix I'm recording?

Tech Guru

You could do that, but be warned the result might not sound as good as your other files/records.
    2x Technics sl 1200mk2, Vinyl, Shure m44-7, Xone 22, Audio Technica ATH M50X, Traktor A10, Maschine, Logic X, Ableton Live.

You might have to go through a mixer, the TT needs a ground connection which your mac ain't gonna have. Try to monitor your level before recording, also as stated - artifacts, pops, some static, and possibly some wow and flutter too could be present on the finished file.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJAdeSands View Post
    You might have to go through a mixer, the TT needs a ground connection which your mac ain't gonna have. Try to monitor your level before recording, also as stated - artifacts, pops, some static, and possibly some wow and flutter too could be present on the finished file.
    You can always ground the turntable to the mixer and have the rca's going to the laptop.

That's a rather splendid idea! Tiredness has me daft..
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Turntable>Audio6>Audition ...Boom
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast