This might be the most newbie question ever. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Earworm has a great book on how to make Mashups and he knows what he's talking about:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Mashup.../dp/0471771953

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    6 has cool features, but being that 7 is a new generation of Ableton goodness, it makes it that much better.

(Oh, by the way, if you like FL better for making loops, keep using FL, but export the loops to Ableton. )
    Yeah thats new slicer in FL is pretty decent, you get a lifetime of free updates too with that software so over time you will get more vst's that you can use in Ableton as are made available.

The best thing about FL studio though is soundgoodizer

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpress View Post
    Earworm has a great book on how to make Mashups and he knows what he's talking about:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Mashup.../dp/0471771953
    Thats good advice buying a book like this would help out a lot. Going from the write up on the amazon page it looks to be a pretty decent one too, i wouldn't mind giving it a read myself actually

Tech Mentor

ableton is the way to fly

Tech Wizard

actually after installing it last night..(and turning my appartment upside down looking for that green paper with the serial number for authorization) they offered free upgrade to 7
    but it is Lite edition.. and after mucking about.. i couldnt seem to find a spot to throw any mp3 into any kind of timeline..guess its more video tutorials for me tonight.. im skippin steps I think here

And yeah FL is great for beatmakin I find, the link to controller options are great
    so that u can set up funky setups

You have to select an audio track and drop it in.

If you're in session view drop it on a clip, if your in the arrangement view(the big timeline thingy screen) just drop the mp3 on a track.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

tried both.. the weird thing too is that i drop it in (even tho its giving me a circle with diagonal line.. meaning im not supposed to be able to) and! (even tho the explorer should only be displaying files that I CAN drop into the program) well it does nothing.. and then! I can go in edit and UNDO my nothingness hahaha
    made me laugh but must be somthing stupid im not doing right..
    i was thinking could it be the codec from the mp3? i cut it from a full song and spat it out as an mp3.. though ableton says it takes em.. perhaps it picky about the compression or codec?

Quote Originally Posted by bLAstoiD View Post
    tried both.. the weird thing too is that i drop it in (even tho its giving me a circle with diagonal line.. meaning im not supposed to be able to) and! (even tho the explorer should only be displaying files that I CAN drop into the program) well it does nothing.. and then! I can go in edit and UNDO my nothingness hahaha
    made me laugh but must be somthing stupid im not doing right..
    i was thinking could it be the codec from the mp3? i cut it from a full song and spat it out as an mp3.. though ableton says it takes em.. perhaps it picky about the compression or codec?
    Try finding it in the Ableton file explorer on the left and opening it from there perhaps.

Tech Convert

i use logic for stuff like that, abletons time warp helps alot for beginners. If your a video editor you should try soundtrack pro it should be able to what you want as well if your not using midi controllers and stuff

You might want to try a different file, or maybe even file format.

I sometimes too have a defective mp3, which also allows me to drop it in from the file explorer.
    Ableton analyses the file, but comes back with nothing, a bar with no waveform in it.
    Sometimes it does this when it cannot find the proper location of the file.
    You could try to drop your MP3s in another(shorter) folder?

It could be a factor of not having the correct codec, or maybe just try to reinstall Ableton?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast