This might be the most newbie question ever.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default This might be the most newbie question ever.

Alright I find myself being very frustrated lately trying to figure out how to do this mix I have in my head. In my mind it must be the simplest thing to do but I am finding myself going in 3 programs to get to a point where.. well I am just going nowhere.

I have a sample from a song, I want to overlap it to another song and get control on the second one such as effects etc..
    the tempo from the sample has to be slightly tweaked.. and I want to mix multiple samples from this.. now I come from a video editing background and perhaps my thinking is wrong.. but cant I find a program that will let me do all this
    and keyframe my effects values and other such things.. where I can paste clips along a timeline and mix in this way?
    Now I might have this all wrong and maybe this is not at all how one goes about doing this.. but then how am I supposed to do mashups and multiple mixes at same time? perhaps you can all point me to either a program that can do this.. or a simple easy tutorial for basics..
    The programs I have uselessly spent money on purchasing so far with no success are FL studio (wich wont let me pause in the middle of a sample then hit play again cause its like it has to hit the begining to start!?) and Traktor wich is working great! if only i could keyframe effects along a timeline and then tell it to automatically load stuff and play it when it hits a certain point..

At this point I feel like using Adobe Premiere to mix this wich would be completly ridiculous and probably wouldnt get as good results with less options.

Thank you for your help guys and sorry for the long post
    i bet a lot of people are laughing right now

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Ableton is able

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by midifidler View Post
    Ableton is able
    QFT

Threefold Ableton Live!
    (Though you should be able to handle it in FLStudio)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Ableton is live the most ablest

Traktor + Ableton = Raw Power

Keyframing stuff really takes away a part of what makes it a live act if you ask me, using it sparingly is alright. Like Dummy clips in Ableton can let you do things you wouldnt be able to do otherwise.

Youtube the hell out of Ableton to get a handle on it.

Also yes FL studio can do that sample thing, load the sample up in a Fruity Scratcher FL studio is an awesome program and was sooooooooo not a waste of money. Even if you get into Ableton you can still copy all of your VST effects over you got with FL studio. The plugins you get with FL Studio alone make it a worth while purchase, let along the fact you get a whole friggen DAW for much much less than the competition. So dont feel bad about your investment at all

What makes Ableton better than FL studio is that Ableton is better designed for playing live than FL studio. That said Image line will improve the live functionality in time, but you hardly want to sit around waiting for that.

Piping your audio from Traktor to Ableton really provides the most flexibility, its a bit of a pain in the butt to set up at first but is well worth the effort.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 08-25-2008 at 08:49 AM.

Ableton FTMFW

Tech Wizard

HOT DIGGITY DARN!
    why wasnt i thrown into ableton to start with? been lookin at the sites videos all evening and this is exactly what i wanted its as if they wrote this sofware for me!(im kidding im kidding)
    wow a linear editor just like Final cut or Premiere THANK YOU ABLETON!
    oh and yeah I am happy with the cool sounds I can come up with in FL just couldnt figure out how to mix them with songs and such in a way that I could comprehend.. perhaps cause i am retarted dj-ingly speaking but this one seems to do exactly what I need it to.

And best news of all... Ableton 6 came free with my Axiom
    lets just hope that 6 can do all the cool stuff I see on the videos of 7 or part of them

thanks guys!

Tech Mentor

another happy djtt customer
    obsidiance » breaks-drum'n'bass-big beats

Quote Originally Posted by bLAstoiD View Post
    [..]
    And best news of all... Ableton 6 came free with my Axiom
    lets just hope that 6 can do all the cool stuff I see on the videos of 7 or part of them

thanks guys!
    6 has cool features, but being that 7 is a new generation of Ableton goodness, it makes it that much better.

(Oh, by the way, if you like FL better for making loops, keep using FL, but export the loops to Ableton. )
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast