how do you get songs gridded that change tempo slightly? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    its usefull if you wanna juggle through cue points...
    Lols. Only if you need your button presses quantised because youre not able to press a button in time with a beat.

Most djs need their button pushes quNtiZed... Lol I've got lazy now again since serato introduced quant although I still forget to turn it on and haha it's not 100% but that's djing lefting a back cue go on beat was an art form not lost

Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    its usefull if you wanna juggle through cue points...
    Haha I have no problem doing this without beatgridding. All this technology is making your ears lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ZxZDeViLZxZ View Post
    Most djs need their button pushes quNtiZed... Lol I've got lazy now again since serato introduced quant although I still forget to turn it on and haha it's not 100% but that's djing lefting a back cue go on beat was an art form not lost
    Yeah it's like nobody's ever heard of humanizing your mix. Mixes that are perfectly flawless are boring AF IMO. Listen to some old funk or Hendrix records if you think a technically perfect performance is the only way to go and then we'll talk. Technology is a wonderful tool to have, but don't let it turn all of you into robots!
    Last edited by Psythik; 05-25-2015 at 12:31 AM. Reason: clarification
    Official DJ since 2009 (DJ in spirit since 1988) | I mix open format on NS7 II w/Serato DJ

Tech Guru

If a DJ has all quantised button presses and sync, then I dont think they can use the word 'performance' when they play out.

Performance implies risk, of creating something out of nothing, and these button pressers arent doing this.

I always contend that a sync dj is often bored themselves as there is no dramatic tension, or risk of a mis step in their mix. No wonder they look bored.

Lots of bullshit posts about sync vs real djing and only one or two actually answering the OP. Get your head out of your arses and help the guy.

OP- I'd do one of two things. Either look to Ableton to warp the track to a steady BPM (last resort IMO) or set a couple of different beat markers as Jeter suggests, although this works best if the drift is only slight. Long term you wanna look at being able to manually nudge the track back on beat if your skills don't currently stretch that far.

Out of interest what tunes are you mixing and having trouble with?
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    Lots of bullshit posts about sync vs real djing and only one or two actually answering the OP. Get your head out of your arses and help the guy.

OP- I'd do one of two things. Either look to Ableton to warp the track to a steady BPM (last resort IMO) or set a couple of different beat markers as Jeter suggests, although this works best if the drift is only slight. Long term you wanna look at being able to manually nudge the track back on beat if your skills don't currently stretch that far.

Out of interest what tunes are you mixing and having trouble with?
    The question has already been answered, youve just repeated the earlier correct answer, and also felt the need to tell everyone else off.

Now we're just chattin, you know? I hope you enjoyed wagging your finger though.

Most djs need their button pushes quNtiZed...
    I don't, I hate having my loop anywhere other than where I want it and quantize annoys the hell out of me for that reason, especially when the beatgrid is out.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

Haha in serato you don't have to use sync to be quantized it's just to the closest 1/4 or whatever you set... I never used for years as vinyl didn't offer such a tool so releasing a back cue on beat was an art... Then when I started with traktor some years ago never synced but it doesn't require sync to quant.... I don't button mash odd time cue jump but even then I don't really know why I have it on although I set cue markers on the fly and that is mostly why I use it... Even then if something's not gridded right automatically I don't use it when I set cues on the fly...

And yes we are just chatting now questions been answered..

Overall I agree a flawless mix without the aids is far more thrilling then flawless with the aids...

I'm a firm believer in being spontaneous never rehearsing a mix always just playing tracks... If you rehearse a set and dot deviate you loose the creativity in it... Artistic expression is lost in lots of mixing that is done this way.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    Lols. Only if you need your button presses quantised because youre not able to press a button in time with a beat.
    I am not saying they need to be quantized or anything, I am saying that having that marker there so you can juggle between clips is useful.

You don't have to quantize to have a marker though

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast