What do you think?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Florence, Italy
    Posts
    30

    Default What do you think?

    So yesterday I was thinking of all the problems I had with pcs/macs/tablets (not just in djing) and then the idea of a dedicated pc/hardware for the dj came to my mind... Why? In my opinion we need something that has been built FOR the software, not the software built for the os (in my imagination it should gain a lot more reliability), with specs that are suited for the musician/producer/dj. I like to think that many of the things we use today are capable of doing too many things (which is great for every day use of course) but lack on the professional level, at least for what I've seen in the past years.

    This introduction sounds like a Kickstarter preview but here is the project:
    3 touch screens with a customizable layout for the bottom & right one (with some controls maybe?)
    Integrated 10 channel souncard (basically an a10 sticked inside if it with fx snd/return)
    6 usb ports for controllers and/or mass storage
    midi in/out
    grounding
    aluminuim chassy for its strenght and heat dissipation properties
    another usb port to connect to another pc for updates and transfer music
    single/double 1Tb ssd drive

    In addition to these I was wondering if it could be possible to have the screens to split and have on the first Traktor for example and Ableton on the second one...
    Sooo yeah what do you think about it?

    Cheers
    (the photos below are just a quick sketch of what i had in mind, sketchup skills over 9000 )
    screen1.jpgscreen2.jpgscreen3.jpgscreen4.jpgscreen5.jpg

  2. #2

    Default

    Im not sure youve seen this in the blog section of DJTT but Im liking his idea. http://djtechtools.com/2015/05/15/th...ree-dj-booths/
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

  3. #3
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Florence, Italy
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Yes I did! i was just trying to think of the next step basically

  4. #4
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    san jose, ca
    Posts
    378

    Default

    its a cool idea, but i think the market for such a thing is fairly small.

    most people buy a computer and then get software, not buy software and then get a computer. I imagine this computer would cost somewhere north of 3k, and at that point in time im not sure most people would buy something that does one specific thing very well while sacrificing the ability to do multiple other things (email, web browsing, excel, etc).

    Maybe you could sell the shell of the unit, like a DIY project, and let users source their own materials. It does make sense to have something that is optimized, but that optimization should be user dictated not manufacturing dictated (and now we've looped back to the beginning of the problem.)
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

  5. #5

    Default

    If I were starting out again I'd purchaase a Intel NUC as SSD and some memory and a decent screen. I'd like a purpose bult computer that didnt cost me a arm and a leg. Even what I want above cost more than the laptop I purchased several months ago. If I could get a computer that was $55 that could run Traktor and Serato I'd be happier than a pig in slop. Until miricles happen I'll have to stick with my laptop.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bc6 View Post
    If I could get a computer that was $55 that could run Traktor and Serato I'd be happier than a pig in slop.
    I wouldn't even need it to run those softwares. Just a track selector, nudging, and pitch shift would get my $55. I would rather buy two standalone units, as well.

    This is something I've been longing for for years. Nothing fancy like the OP suggests - just a CD-J without the CD player.

    Round about the time CD-Js started having USB functionality, and when the Raspberry Pi was released, I started becoming increasingly frustrated that the DJ market was dominated by a "CD-J or laptop" mentality.

  7. #7
    Tech Convert Psythik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Meh, if I wanted to ditch the laptop I would have bought CDJs.
    Official DJ since 2009 (DJ in spirit since 1988) | I mix open format on NS7 II w/Serato DJ

  8. #8
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InsertSmartName View Post
    So yesterday I was thinking of all the problems I had with pcs/macs/tablets (not just in djing) and then the idea of a dedicated pc/hardware for the dj came to my mind... Why? In my opinion we need something that has been built FOR the software, not the software built for the os (in my imagination it should gain a lot more reliability), with specs that are suited for the musician/producer/dj. I like to think that many of the things we use today are capable of doing too many things (which is great for every day use of course) but lack on the professional level, at least for what I've seen in the past years.

    This introduction sounds like a Kickstarter preview but here is the project:
    3 touch screens with a customizable layout for the bottom & right one (with some controls maybe?)
    Integrated 10 channel souncard (basically an a10 sticked inside if it with fx snd/return)
    6 usb ports for controllers and/or mass storage
    midi in/out
    grounding
    aluminuim chassy for its strenght and heat dissipation properties
    another usb port to connect to another pc for updates and transfer music
    single/double 1Tb ssd drive

    In addition to these I was wondering if it could be possible to have the screens to split and have on the first Traktor for example and Ableton on the second one...
    Sooo yeah what do you think about it?

    Cheers
    (the photos below are just a quick sketch of what i had in mind, sketchup skills over 9000 )
    screen1.jpgscreen2.jpgscreen3.jpgscreen4.jpgscreen5.jpg
    Do not want.

    Touch controls are awful for DAW control IMO.

    No muscle memory, no fine control, you have to look at the damn thing to use it etc etc.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    Do not want.

    Touch controls are awful for DAW control IMO.

    No muscle memory, no fine control, you have to look at the damn thing to use it etc etc.
    I agree completely.

  10. #10
    Tech Mentor Stazbumpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    Do not want.

    Touch controls are awful for DAW control IMO.

    No muscle memory, no fine control, you have to look at the damn thing to use it etc etc.
    I like the idea of the unit but I agree with this. Tactile control and feedback is essential, give us buttons and knobs.
    Lots of them.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •