Music organizational help - Sub-Genres
    Tech Wizard

Default Music organizational help - Sub-Genres

Im re-organizing my files and following the iTunes Power Tips laid out by Mike Charles on the DJTT blog.

My question is - am i hurting myself in the long run if I make many sub-genre playlists? Im breaking up my House music into sub-genres like Groovy, Deep, Mello, Progressive, Electro, Latin, Big Room, Ethnic, Techno, Commercial, Disco, etc

Will this hurt me in the long run to have too many separate sub-genre playlists?

How many do u have?

Tech Mentor

As long as you know what each playlist has, and what they sound like, I can't imagine it'd hurt too much. Music organization is like MIDI mappings. There's not really a right or wrong way to do it, just go with whatever works best for you.

At least untill you get to the point where you only have one or two songs in each playlist. That would just be silly.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Seg's right. You need to decide the best way for YOU to sort the music.

For example, in a situation like yours I'd organize it by the official subgenre, but then also create a category in, perhaps, the rating system or Groups or something for the feeling of the music. It might make it easier to mix from an electro house song to a prog-house song.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall