Roland TR-505 with Logic?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Roland TR-505 with Logic?

I'm Picking up a Roland TR-505 tomorrow, will i be able to use this in Logic Pro? It's got MIDI I/O, and 1/4" L/R outs, which ill be using to connect to my soundcard but, I was wondering, how will i integrate this Logic?

I'm new to the hardware world, I have Maschine and MIDI keyboards, so im not completely alien, I just haven't got as deep as using proper vintage gear, so im not in the knowledge of how it'd all be set up.

I will be connecting the 505 from the L&R 1/4" outputs to the 1/4" Line inputs of my soundcard, but don't see how i will be able to record the 505 into Logic.. Will Logic recognise it from my soundcard?

I think I need some MIDI hardware don't I? Connect the 505 via midi somewhere, and then ill be able to record into logic?

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by Superfreak; 06-07-2015 at 03:48 PM.
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    I'm Picking up a Roland TR-505 tomorrow, will i be able to use this in Logic Pro? It's got MIDI I/O, and 1/4" L/R outs, which ill be using to connect to my soundcard but, I was wondering, how will i integrate this Logic?

I'm new to the hardware world, I have Maschine and MIDI keyboards, so im not completely alien, I just haven't got as deep as using proper vintage gear, so im not in the knowledge of how it'd all be set up.

I will be connecting the 505 from the L&R 1/4" outputs to the 1/4" Line inputs of my soundcard, but don't see how i will be able to record the 505 into Logic.. Will Logic recognise it from my soundcard?

I think I need some MIDI hardware don't I? Connect the 505 via midi somewhere, and then ill be able to record into logic?

Thanks for the help
    Firstly the simple one, you will just need to run the 1/4 from the 505 into the input on your soundcard and select that input as the record input on whatever channel in logic.

Just Play on the 505 and you should be able to Record it in Logic

Next you'll want to sync the 505's BPM to logic.

If your sound card has midi I/O then you'll want the midi-out going to the midi-in on the 505. Set the 505 to slave mode and Set logic to synchronize to external slave devices.

Hit Record and in theory your 505 should record in perfect tempo with whatever BPM you are using in Logic.

If you don't have midi ports, you might need a USB > Midi cable (a few bucks) or one of your midi keyboards might have a midi i/o interface that can be utilized.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Firstly the simple one, you will just need to run the 1/4 from the 505 into the input on your soundcard and select that input as the record input on whatever channel in logic.

Just Play on the 505 and you should be able to Record it in Logic

Next you'll want to sync the 505's BPM to logic.

If your sound card has midi I/O then you'll want the midi-out going to the midi-in on the 505. Set the 505 to slave mode and Set logic to synchronize to external slave devices.

Hit Record and in theory your 505 should record in perfect tempo with whatever BPM you are using in Logic.

If you don't have midi ports, you might need a USB > Midi cable (a few bucks) or one of your midi keyboards might have a midi i/o interface that can be utilized.
    Ah that's great to hear... I didn't think I would be able to use and record the 505 into logic with the equipment i already had.

As for syncing the 505 with my logic tempo, My soundcard does not have any MIDI I/O .. Maschine has MIDI IN and OUT, and my MIDI keyboard only has MIDI OUT, which is being connected to maschine, so that i can use the keybaord to play more than the maschine's 16 pads.

Can i still just record individual drum hits/sounds from the 505 into logic? Then there will be no need to sync, as for now, that's all i'll be doing. I won't be making patterns as such on the 505, ill just use it to record some hits into logic.

That'll be fine, right? And if i want to record patterns form the 505 into logic, ill then get an audio AND midi interface so that i can sync the tempo w/ Logic
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

Yep you can record loops / hits etc .. no prob without any midi sync, it should stay pretty reasonably in sync for 16+ bar loops so long as your tempo in logic and 505 is the same.

You can use the midi i/o on your Maschine to slave the 505 in logic though - no extra gear needed, just a midi cable.

Thanks a lot mate, that's great to hear.

I'll just stick with what I've got for now.

I'm also picking up a TB-3 tonight, so MIDI syncing is definitely the route I will be taking soon, so I can have everything hard synced for performance as well as studio.

Can you recommend any MIDI interfaces? Preferably midi & audio, so that I can just have one soundcard with it all in, and not an expensive one.

Cheers!

The Audio 10 in your sig has Midi I/O ? If you cant use that, then pretty much any soundcard with Midi I/O could be used NI/Focusrite/M-audio etc. Or just get a separate Midi Interface ($60 for something decent), use one of the other devices as your Master clock e.g. Machine I/O, TB-3 or even 505.

I'd say it might be worthwhile looking into USB Mixing Desk for recording and performace - computer on the USB input and the external gear on a couple of other channels.

There's oodles of ways you could set things up but ultimately your own workflow will play the biggest part e.g. if you want to record channels simultaneously or individually.

That actually broke, eh. Started showing the "usb disabled" error, NI said it's faulty and i can send it in and repair/replace it, haven;t got round to that yet...

The guy i bought the 505 from had an old midi interface he sold me for 20quid. Its the USB MIDIsport 2x2, little 2 in 2 out box, that should do the trick.

Ill get the 505 and TB3 hooked up and get used to it first then ill get them midi synced!

But yes, i was looking into getting a mixing desk... I've just never known EXACTLY what one is for.....

Can I have it set up with Logic Pro, and control certain faders/parameters with it? Have my studio monitors plugged into it and adjust volume from there? Have instruments plugged into it and control the volume, etc?

If so, that is definitely something I have been looking for

Nice job on the Midisport, good deal

A mixing desk can be used for multiple things, depending how much you want to spend and how much space you have and how complex you want your chain to get.

The yamaha I linked to has 10 channels, so

Channel 9/10 is your computer output
    Channel 7/8 could be your TB-3
    Channel 5/6 could be your 505
    The other channels might be for your DJ Mixer / Mic etc ...

So it can be used for basically for keeping things neat, basic EQ / FX and not needing to have the computer on to just play with your hardware gear. If you are laying down a track and need to record your 505, just turn up that channel on the mixer, mute the rest and hit record - piece of cake.

You could of course go down the route of getting a big complex desk and big soundcard - in which case you could have your TB-3, and other hardware individual mixer channels and separate your logic channels into groups outputting as individual soundcard channels which you can then mix on the hardware mixer to be recorded.

These individual channels could also then have their own outboard send/return per group on the mixer which might be utilized by outboard hardware effects units.

Starting off I'd just get something small to keep everything neat

Ha! I was quite surprised when he just said "yeah ive got one, 20quid".
    Two birds with one stone and all that!

Right, I see. That is something I'll want eventually. I wouldn't get a massive one just yet though, something small.... I do need a bigger soundcard for now though, with more I/O's, and MIDI's I/O's too.

I'm not sure how the midi interface is working though, like it plugs via USB to computer, and just has x2 midi i/o's, how will logic recognise that in order to sync my 505 and TB-3?

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    Ha! I was quite surprised when he just said "yeah ive got one, 20quid".
    Two birds with one stone and all that!

Right, I see. That is something I'll want eventually. I wouldn't get a massive one just yet though, something small.... I do need a bigger soundcard for now though, with more I/O's, and MIDI's I/O's too.

I'm not sure how the midi interface is working though, like it plugs via USB to computer, and just has x2 midi i/o's, how will logic recognise that in order to sync my 505 and TB-3?
    Firstly you'll need to set up your Audio Midi Prefs and choose midi channel(s) the Midisport transmits on.

Plug the output into your first device and link the out from that device into the next device in the chain.

Then from logic you want to transmit its clock to your hardware.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13383?locale=en_US < logic settings

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...p-problem.html < Setting up TR/TB sync issues / solutions.

You'll prob need to go through the manuals regarding the sync / channel settings.

A small desk might actually eliminate the need for a bigger sound card so long as you don't need to record multiple channels at once or require cueing.
    Last edited by deevey; 06-11-2015 at 02:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast