Roland TR-505 with Logic? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Firstly you'll need to set up your Audio Midi Prefs and choose midi channel(s) the Midisport transmits on.

Plug the output into your first device and link the out from that device into the next device in the chain.

Then from logic you want to transmit its clock to your hardware.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13383?locale=en_US < logic settings

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...p-problem.html < Setting up TR/TB sync issues / solutions.

You'll prob need to go through the manuals regarding the sync / channel settings.

A small desk might actually eliminate the need for a bigger sound card so long as you don't need to record multiple channels at once or require cueing.

Okay thanks for that, I'll check back over this on the weekend when I'm
    back in the home studio!

About mixing desks... I just came across this, and it's fairly priced,
    What do you think? Link: Behringer 802 8 Input 2 Bus Mixer https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000J5XS..._HsGEvbT71MDK2

I noticed it does have any MIDI I/O, but with my midi interface i have now that shouldn't matter, but, it doesn't seem to be USB, so I wouldn't really be able to hook this up to my mac.. I'll need a USB mixing desk, right?
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

EDIT: okay found this, it's like a USB version of the one I linked just now

Behringer Premium 10 Input 2 Bus Mixer with XENYX Mic Preamps/Compressors/British EQs and USB/Audio Interface https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008O516..._sCGEvbWKR2V6J

What could I plug into that? Could I control the volume and stuff and add fx to whatever I plug into that?
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    EDIT: okay found this, it's like a USB version of the one I linked just now

Behringer Premium 10 Input 2 Bus Mixer with XENYX Mic Preamps/Compressors/British EQs and USB/Audio Interface http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xenyx_1204_usb.htm

What could I plug into that? Could I control the volume and stuff and add fx to whatever I plug into that?
    I'll start off with, I have that Behringers lil brother (502) and while its pretty handy for splitting sources and occasionally recording hardware its not ideal as it cant individually record channels while similtaniously playing back in Logic (or other hardware channels). Also the mic inputs are a bit Noisy for "real" work.

I would consider getting an Allen and Heath Zed 10 (or higher)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/allenheath_zed10.htm

This one would be a much better fit for a few reasons.

Firstly The recording audio interface has assignment buttons on each channel for its input, meaning you wont record the master output and other devices. Where the Behringer records the master output directly - anything with the fader up gets recorded (including your computers output unless you are using headphones) Secondly You can Cue each channel in headphones for live use. Thirdly - its Allen and Heath

I would probably go with a configuration something like as follows.

In Logic prefs:

Set Mixing Desk as Output Soundcard
    Set Mixing Desk as Input Soundcard

On Mixing Desk:

Master Out > Cables To Your Speakers or Amp

Channel 3/4 DJ mixer / Microphones or whatever other audio sources you want to plug in
    Channel 5/6 > TB-3
    Channel 7/8 > 505
    Channel 9/10 > Your USB audio input from Logic.
    FX send > To Effects hardware e.g. kaosspad
    Channel 1/2 Stereo Effects Return Signal

There's a ton of other ways you could go, but only you will be able to decide that

Yes I know the Zed is a little more expensive, but remember you wont need a new sound card either, the one built in is decent and the mixer itself gets really good reviews.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep1...10fx.htm#para1

Last edited by deevey; 06-12-2015 at 05:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    I'll start off with, I have that Behringers lil brother (502) and while its pretty handy for splitting sources and occasionally recording hardware its not ideal as it cant individually record channels while similtaniously playing back in Logic (or other hardware channels). Also the mic inputs are a bit Noisy for "real" work.

I would consider getting an Allen and Heath Zed 10 (or higher)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/allenheath_zed10.htm

This one would be a much better fit for a few reasons.

Firstly The recording audio interface has assignment buttons on each channel for its input, meaning you wont record the master output and other devices. Where the Behringer records the master output directly - anything with the fader up gets recorded (including your computers output unless you are using headphones) Secondly You can Cue each channel in headphones for live use. Thirdly - its Allen and Heath

I would probably go with a configuration something like as follows.

In Logic prefs:

Set Mixing Desk as Output Soundcard
    Set Mixing Desk as Input Soundcard

On Mixing Desk:

Master Out > Cables To Your Speakers or Amp

Channel 3/4 DJ mixer / Microphones or whatever other audio sources you want to plug in
    Channel 5/6 > TB-3
    Channel 7/8 > 505
    Channel 9/10 > Your USB audio input from Logic.
    FX send > To Effects hardware e.g. kaosspad
    Channel 1/2 Stereo Effects Return Signal

There's a ton of other ways you could go, but only you will be able to decide that

Yes I know the Zed is a little more expensive, but remember you wont need a new sound card either, the one built in is decent and the mixer itself gets really good reviews.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep1...10fx.htm#para1

That looks really nice to be honest and it's reasonably priced, I was expecting it to be a lot more.

So, that has enough I/O for for me to plug in my 505
    & TB-3, and then of course I'll be using this as my soundcard now, so will run my studio monitors out of it, and I'll have some spare ins and outs left right? In case I pick up some more hardware soon, which I'm planning
    Too, a new synth or something, I don't want to have to get another soundcard after this!

Also, I see its USB, so no worries connecting to my mac. I have a midi interface now so that'll work fine, independent volume controls for both the TB-3 and 505?

And for both speakers? At once or individually isn't an issue. I'm really thinking of picking this up. Plus yes, A&H.
    I had the Xone 92 DJ mixer and it was the greatest thing ever!

EDIT: One thing, is the Zed 10 actually a USB mixing desk? My soundcard is USB, plug it straight into my mac and my monitors out of it via rca. Can't seem to find if this zed10 is actually USB driven.. There's no USB in the back, but on the top, which is a little weird, looks messier with cables all coming out of the top, not a great issue though.

I'm just wondering how I will get my computer to recognise it as a soundcard device, unless it is USB, then that's okay
    Last edited by Superfreak; 06-15-2015 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    EDIT: One thing, is the Zed 10 actually a USB mixing desk? My soundcard is USB, plug it straight into my mac and my monitors out of it via rca. Can't seem to find if this zed10 is actually USB driven.. There's no USB in the back, but on the top, which is a little weird, looks messier with cables all coming out of the top, not a great issue though.

I'm just wondering how I will get my computer to recognise it as a soundcard device, unless it is USB, then that's okay
    Yep it is a 2x2 USB Soundcard, USB is on the top panel (i know its weird). Its plug and play, no drivers or setup needed, it'll be automatically recognized by OSX.

And yes you can run multiple stereo outputs from it simultaneously and more using the mono AUX channels.

And yep you'll have plenty of extra channels for other devices.

That's great. Picking one up tomorrow for £100, used 3 times so fairly new.

For the 505 and TB-3, would I run them like this:

Dual 1/4" jack from TB-3 ----- into the Single 1/4" jack Line In, (the first one on left hand side)
    Dual 1/4" jack from 505 ------ into the Single 1/4" Jack Line in, (the second one).

Or even run the 505 and 3 into the the two Stereo inputs, which is on the right of the zed10

And then obviously the top right XLR for my monitors..

Sweet Price, Nice Job !

Got it, all good! Works fine!! Thanks for the heads up about this, looks great.

One thing, ATM, I'm using the Main Mix Out (XLR) to my studio monitors, and I use the Main Mix Level knob to control volume, but for some reason, when i turn the Playback Level knob, that increases the volume also, not sure why that's happening? Plus, there's a bad humming noise when i turn the Main Mix knob all the way up, if i turn Playback all the way down, so theres no music coming through, and then turn Main Mix up, i can hear it loud!

do you think I should get a pair of RCA cables and run my monitors through the Monitor Out Output instead? It's confusing when multiple knobs contribute to the volume output of just one source, my speakers.. I don't know which ones to keep up or down.

W/ the RCA I think the only way to alter the volume is simply the Monitor Level knob.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Superfreak; 06-21-2015 at 11:32 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12