[Quick Help Please!] Sidechain Triggers!

Default [Quick Help Please!] Sidechain Triggers!

so i'm stuck on how to get this to work, and i need to use this specific method on a track that i have due in about an hour and a half :P lots of knowledge here and i can't find it anywhere else, so any help would be awesome

basically i have a hi-hat pattern and a sustaining clav pattern. i want to set it up so the only part of the clav that comes through is when the hi hats are being played, so the hat triggers the clav. it's so simple but i've been racking my brain and not making any progess fiddling with things. anybody?

thanks guys
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

alright well i found one tutorial explaining how to do it, but i can't get that to work either. i'm in logic, and have the hats set to go to bus 3, and then the clav track (now an ES1 synth, evd6 doesn't have a sidechain option), is set to side chain on bus 3 (in the synth GUI). still, no luck.

cool, fixed it myself. for anyone else wondering:

set output of rhythmic pattern to bus 1. put noise gate on synth, set side chain option to bus 1. for added effect, instead of setting rhythm pattern to bus 1, put bus 1 on send of that channel and make it pre-fader, so even if rhythmic pattern is absent, synth will still be gated.

cool stutter effect!

Tech Convert

I was going to tell you its prob that you need to click pre fader, it drove me crazy till some one showed me this
    Ableton Live 8, Traktor, Pro Tools 8, way too much hardware, software synths, and guitars...

myspace.com/riotthedj

well that wasn't the real problem since the channel was up regardless, but it definitely helps and is a good rule of thumb to do in case you ever want to cut the instrument. the real issue was trying to do this with a compressor and not a gate :P