Lets Talk Business - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

In a perfect world clubs will hire DJs on Merit and not because they producers or Promoters
    But unfortunately the amount of followers you have on Facebook is more important to them than the skill you have

The equation is you help bring in clients who will stay long enough to listen to your music and will order as much Food & Drink as they can

This changes the whole concept of being a DJ but at the same time makes things a little interesting...

Ok I'm from Chicago and the nightlife comment about the community being small outside of festivals is completely false. I don't know where you live, but there's so much going on here that's not mainstream it's overwhelming. Literally every night of the week has something legit going on that will cater to you.

edit/ If you want to start a party, find a small venue that's open to your idea and work with them on numbers and see what you can do. Work out a deal where if the bar hits x amount in bar sales then you get let's say 20% after that or something. See if they'll throw any money down initially every week to help pay for acts as well. You don't necessarily have to "rent" anything.
    Last edited by Kwal; 06-19-2015 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Ok I'm from Chicago and the nightlife comment about the community being small outside of festivals is completely false. I don't know where you live, but there's so much going on here that's not mainstream it's overwhelming. Literally every night of the week has something legit going on that will cater to you.

edit/ If you want to start a party, find a small venue that's open to your idea and work with them on numbers and see what you can do. Work out a deal where if the bar hits x amount in bar sales then you get let's say 20% after that or something. See if they'll throw any money down initially every week to help pay for acts as well. You don't necessarily have to "rent" anything.
    same thing hear... at least 2 dozen festivals a year, most of them are free. a scene for almost every genre. even us psy/trance guys get something bigger then a closet to perform at

Tech Wizard

Nightlife in chicago doesnt seem to be in the spotlight. Where do you usually go for the nighlife? yea there are alot of bars but very few places deditcated to just music. All there really is, that I`ve seen, is the Mid, Concord Music hall, SkyBar, UIC pavilion and House of Blues. Mind you there are places like the Elbo Room and others but to me its nothing like it is when comprared to LA or New York.

The biggest problems I keep running into, time and time again is the liability issue and having events that are under 21. I would get the insurance coverage but its crazy expensive and something that I can afford untill I know I have a steady stream of events bringing in a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nas525 View Post
    Nightlife in chicago doesnt seem to be in the spotlight. Where do you usually go for the nighlife? yea there are alot of bars but very few places deditcated to just music. All there really is, that I`ve seen, is the Mid, Concord Music hall, SkyBar, UIC pavilion and House of Blues. Mind you there are places like the Elbo Room and others but to me its nothing like it is when comprared to LA or New York.

The biggest problems I keep running into, time and time again is the liability issue and having events that are under 21. I would get the insurance coverage but its crazy expensive and something that I can afford untill I know I have a steady stream of events bringing in a profit.
    You're from out of town? Makes more sense now. You gotta look into places like Spybar, Primary, Soundbar on occasion, etc. My buddy just started a Wednesday night party at Crocodile in Wicker Park on Wednesdays where I'm a resident at and he literally just found a good venue that didn't have a Wednesday party and made a deal with the owner. Obviously the party idea fit the scene of the bar as it's a more laid back, deep house type of night so the owner was on board and cut him a deal. I wouldn't go out looking to "rent" any venues honestly.

e/ Hell, basically every weekend we have HUGE artists here doing loft afterhours parties until 10 am the next day.

You're from out of town? Makes more sense now. You gotta look into places like Spybar, Primary, Soundbar on occasion, etc. My buddy just started a Wednesday night party at Crocodile in Wicker Park on Wednesdays where I'm a resident at and he literally just found a good venue that didn't have a Wednesday party and made a deal with the owner. Obviously the party idea fit the scene of the bar as it's a more laid back, deep house type of night so the owner was on board and cut him a deal. I wouldn't go out looking to "rent" any venues honestly.

e/ Hell, basically every weekend we have HUGE artists here doing loft afterhours parties until 10 am the next day.
    only 10am... ours go on until noon

Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    only 10am... ours go on until noon
    It's just an example there's shit that goes on for days everywhere if you know how to find it

Tech Wizard

Yea I am, going to start to live down in wicker park this fall. Do you know what kind of deal he made with the owner? was it like, 10% after 200 liquour sales made? or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Nas525 View Post
    Yea I am, going to start to live down in wicker park this fall. Do you know what kind of deal he made with the owner? was it like, 10% after 200 liquour sales made? or something like that?
    20% after $1500 in bar sales, and the owner gives him some cash upfront to help pay for Djs but it's only like $100-$200. So the rest will come out of pocket to pay for acts beforehand and then you cross your fingers and hope the crowd comes or your out. Slow weeks are always expected when starting out but that's what I would recommend doing.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the scenario really does help give a feel for everything. I would expect a lot of times to be slow especially on Wednesday nights.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast