Lets Talk Business
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Lets Talk Business

As we all know being a DJ is not all about the music anymore. In many cases you are your own promoter, manager and just about everything else. I stumbled onto this form looking for information on DJing in hope of becoming a producer. After about 2 years of trying to focus on producing music it just never took off. I came to relize that making music wasnt my calling but it was actually creating the event itself.

I understand the world of DJing now im trying to learn about what goes behind the scene of a event or nightclub. What I mean by that is, how do promoters run clubs and so on. Any comments on this topic would be a great help.

its quite simple... bring women, the men will follow... men buy women drinks, the more women the more sales, the happier the club

on a serious note, you need a roster of DJ's you promote with as well as a potential list of booking agencies. I would get the DJMAG black book from their site... its about 20 bucks and has a shit ton of contacts.

the promoter usually promotes the events both on and offline. during the show alot of them just walk around in circles checking on things

Tech Wizard

seems like the promoters are head of everything when it comes to the event. That Djmag is actually great I just subscribed to it. On another note, I`m from Chicago; the nightlife, very small besides the occasional festival thats in town. How would a promoter go on to grow the nightlife in a huge city like chicago? would the plan be to open more clubs or to add onto the few existing ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Nas525 View Post
    seems like the promoters are head of everything when it comes to the event. That Djmag is actually great I just subscribed to it. On another note, I`m from Chicago; the nightlife, very small besides the occasional festival thats in town. How would a promoter go on to grow the nightlife in a huge city like chicago? would the plan be to open more clubs or to add onto the few existing ones?
    shows... shows everywhere... you can't add space for something thats not there... host shows everywhere do it monthly, grow your audience... do it bi-weekly grow some more... do it weekly and bam... do different type of shows... rofl even compete with yourself at times, so if they don't go to your show they go to your show... think business

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    shows... shows everywhere... you can't add space for something thats not there... host shows everywhere do it monthly, grow your audience... do it bi-weekly grow some more... do it weekly and bam... do different type of shows... rofl even compete with yourself at times, so if they don't go to your show they go to your show... think business
    my whole idea was to open a wear house club like there once was long ago. Something that would really increase the city nightlife. I do agree that would be the best thing. Just having as many events as possible.

any other ideas on how to get people to attend or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Nas525 View Post
    any other ideas on how to get people to attend or anything?
    Good music, women and making sure that people actually know about the event.

I'd make sure the genre(s) of the night are clearly stated on posters etc... amazing how many tiny nights in London don't mention what type of music they're playing on the posters.
    SC - WS

Tech Guru

Sorry to divert the topic a little bit, but as a UK dweller it comes as a shock to hear Chicago has a small night life. I would have thought Chicago would be bustling since it's one of the major birthplaces of house.

I mean, what do I know since I've never been there, but that is genuinely a surprise.

Back on topic:

- Make a brand
    - Hold events, bring all you friends so it looks like you have a following
    - Get some good photos/footage for a press pack
    - Market your brand to larger venues.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Sorry to divert the topic a little bit, but as a UK dweller it comes as a shock to hear Chicago has a small night life. I would have thought Chicago would be bustling since it's one of the major birthplaces of house.

I mean, what do I know since I've never been there, but that is genuinely a surprise.

Back on topic:

- Make a brand
    - Hold events, bring all you friends so it looks like you have a following
    - Get some good photos/footage for a press pack
    - Market your brand to larger venues.
    chicago is dead expensive... and yes they do have shows but things are different these days. most of the good stuff in underground...

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post

It`s nothing like it used to be, having parents that were apart of the house birth it is a sock to see how much it has come to a halt. From what I`ve heard a lot of places in the UK have small little DIY venues that many people seem to attend is this true? Chicago has some of those but they never really seem to be that popular.

Tech Wizard

Daviedavedave good point on putting the genre on the posters. So what about the DJ`s? What would be a good way to find people that want to DJ on a smaller event, that aren`t total shit and aren`t that expensive to hire?

A little background on this, Im going to college and where I`m going has no nightlife what so ever, I`m trying to change that but in a professional way. I have a general low budget to put on these events. I`m starting now so that I get ahead of the game before it even starts.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast