question about storage upgrade in a new 13" MacBook Pro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Tech Guru LanceBlaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA, Where Techno Is Scarce
    Posts
    1,460

    Default question about storage upgrade in a new 13" MacBook Pro

    Does anyone know if you can upgrade the storage inside a new 2015 13" Macbook Pro? I looked on google and I am not finding a definite answer. Thanks guys
    [B]lanceblaise.com | podcasts

    for booking requests :: please go to: projecttechno.com

  2. #2
    Schalenberg
    Guest

    Default

    I'm pretty sure you can't.

  3. #3

    Default

    Why wouldn't you be able to? Is the drive soldered to the board? I'd assume you'd be able to replace with a larger SSD drive

  4. #4
    Schalenberg
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZxZDeViLZxZ View Post
    Is the drive soldered to the board?
    Yes, it is.

  5. #5
    Tech Guru deevey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D
    Posts
    3,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schalenberg View Post
    Yes, it is.
    Eh .. no its not soldered, its a PCIe SSD, so in theory it CAN be upgraded at a later date (learn about the machine here).

    However the problem is that only Apple themselves (currently) supply that specific PCIe form factor. In a year or so OWC will probably have them for sale. Right now, BTO or a second hand Apple SSD from a broken 2015 machine are the only options for upgrading.

  6. #6
    Tech Guru LanceBlaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA, Where Techno Is Scarce
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Eh .. no its not soldered, its a PCIe SSD, so in theory it CAN be upgraded at a later date (learn about the machine here).

    However the problem is that only Apple themselves (currently) supply that specific PCIe form factor. In a year or so OWC will probably have them for sale. Right now, BTO or a second hand Apple SSD from a broken 2015 machine are the only options for upgrading.
    That was what I was figuring... because OWC only had replacement drives for up to early 2013 models. I figured there was something going on with the design of the drives they are using. Hopefully they can get the design sorted out soon. This is pretty annoying. I am thinking to right now just get the 128 and use one of those flashdrive cards that fit in the SD slot on the side of the MBP. They have mixed reviews but I want to put at least a 500mb-1tb HD in there when the drive does become available. The cost from apple is just stupid.
    [B]lanceblaise.com | podcasts

    for booking requests :: please go to: projecttechno.com

  7. #7

  8. #8

    Default

    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacB...Teardown/38300

    http://9to5mac.com/2015/02/24/upgrad...a-macbook-pro/



    Googles a powerful thing and yes it is a pcie style drive second link goes into details on a replacement drive....

  9. #9
    Tech Guru deevey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D
    Posts
    3,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZxZDeViLZxZ View Post
    Googles a powerful thing and yes it is a pcie style drive second link goes into details on a replacement drive....
    Unfortunately it also details in one of the last paragraphs:

    As of early 2015, no third-party SSDs are compatible with this standard, but we’re expecting to see options hit the market closer to the middle of the year. Some Retina MacBook Pro SSDs will apparently be capable of achieving speeds in the 1.2GB/second range, compared with the 700-800MB/second speeds of stock drives.

  10. #10
    Tech Guru LanceBlaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA, Where Techno Is Scarce
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZxZDeViLZxZ View Post
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacB...Teardown/38300

    http://9to5mac.com/2015/02/24/upgrad...a-macbook-pro/



    Googles a powerful thing and yes it is a pcie style drive second link goes into details on a replacement drive....
    What you linked is not for the 2015 model of the Macbook Pro. Unfortunately there is a big difference from the 2013 to the 2015...
    [B]lanceblaise.com | podcasts

    for booking requests :: please go to: projecttechno.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •