Song Mixing Help - Voice and Voice
    Tech Wizard

Default Song Mixing Help - Voice and Voice

Hi all, I am actually going to be DJing for my schools dance in about a month. I am a native techno/electronic DJ and beatmatching is easy and so is mixing into about any song. The issue I have is at a school dance, I need to play hiphop, R&B, and rap music.

The issue is there are vocals throughout the majority of those songs, so I am here to ask...
    How do I mix songs that have vocals almost everywhere in the song, and unique beats?

Thanks!

Tech Guru

hey man, have almost no experience with r&b, but i'm a bit into dub and vocal dub and the like. Generally, in dub (and I believe hip hop), you are going to have a clap on beat 3 90% of the time. First thing to do is get in the 8 beat phrase of most commercial hip hop, and make sure your claps are lined up right. If you can do that, then it wont be too hard to just loop out an 8 beat loop, into the next song.

You can use your eq's to gradually switch claps, or change your bass kick over, but this is a school dance, the skill is not going to be in the dj, but in the popularity of the songs (I feel fucking terrible for saying that.... but, that's just how it is). Personally, I'd look for some banging remixes of popular hip hop songs, and blow those kids away (most of em probably dont even know what dubstep or fidget is).

Hope that helps... meh, just do a bit of pre gig planning (although I'm sure you will get slammed with requests). Show those kids what real music is, and slam that dance floor.

loop the intro, usually you can find at least 4 bars at the beginning with little to no vocals. if you can't, just cut the mids. then plan it so that when the vocals end (for the most part) on one song, they kick in on the next. this is, of course, if you're spinning digital!
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Wizard

ok thanks for the suggestions! ill try them both!