I am a beginner and would like to be pointed in the right direction
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I am a beginner and would like to be pointed in the right direction

Hello Djs!

I have just gotten into Djing and am really loving it and wanting to become better at it, the only problem is i need help... I have a Midi Fighter 3D, which I love, and i use Ableton 9 suite. Im a beginner and have no idea how to use Ableton to make my own music, and i am also looking for a new controller/soundpad/mixer/ or anything else that people use.

My main question is where is the best place to learn how to use Ableton (enough to make my own music and know my way around it) and what controller is good for a beginner like me to purchase.

i appricate all help i can get, i really want to get into Djing but i need help on where to get some good tutorials and what other mixer/controller i should purchase.

Thank you all!

Youtube
    One feeds the pocket, the other feeds the soul "DJ Mpire"

I think you should learn to DJ the more 'Traditional' way first before you learn to DJ on Ableton
    Try learning to DJ wit Traktor/Serato. Theres plenty tutorials out there. You can even lookup lessons in your classifieds
    You can Start on a Mixtrack Pro controller. Its a perfect starter controller.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

APC40 hands down for Ableton ! It'll give you control over pretty much every aspect of the software and you can get the MK1 for around $150 these days on ebay.

Start with learning to beatmatch, practice, practice and practice some more, it will help tune your ears and help you pay more attention to detail within the music -all the time put into it will pay off further down the line, unfortunatley you cant beat match in ableton. If you do stick with ableton make sure you learn to warp correctly, there are loads of vids on youtube on how to do this. As for controllers deevey is right if your using ableton the APC40 has everything you need, i always find it better to use controllers native to the software you are using

Hey there. I'm a professional Dj and I use the traktor s2 I have used it for all my gigs for the past two years. If your a beginner this is the best place to start.

Here is why. Out of the box you will get a entry level professional controller complete with Traktor software. This will get you started and will carry you well into the field of djing. You can use it for tons of gigs. I use it at both of my residencies and play for up 6 hours a time on it. I have also done weddings, grad-city spring break parties, student city spring break parties. I recently did a entire fashion show for 350 people with this controller.

You should also download beaubryte's mapping for the S2 this will put lots of cool effects at your finger tips and allow you to do lots of cool things easier.

Also you can hook up a mic and record podcast from the controller itself with no need for extra gear except the mic.

Also I would invest in a analog mixer as well like a the BEHRINGER XENYX X1204USB. This will give you tons of inputs and outputs which will allow you hook up tons of setups, you can shape the signal coming out of your s2 and you can setup a full podcast complete with four persons skype calls and musical interludes.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Chael View Post
    Start with learning to beatmatch, practice, practice and practice some more, it will help tune your ears and help you pay more attention to detail within the music -all the time put into it will pay off further down the line, unfortunatley you cant beat match in ableton. If you do stick with ableton make sure you learn to warp correctly, there are loads of vids on youtube on how to do this. As for controllers deevey is right if your using ableton the APC40 has everything you need, i always find it better to use controllers native to the software you are using
    I will look into the APC40 more, but would Tracktor Pro 2 be a more beginner friendly program rather than ableton?

Tech Mentor

You are all over the place....

First, forget about Ableton if you want to learn how to DJ, you need to learn the basics on a DJ program that is made for DJing. Go with a simple controller that you can master and start to come into your own and figuring out your style and where you want to go then you can will know what controller you need to move into to accomplish that but first get the basics down. Learn how to mix tracks correctly, watch tutorials to better understand what you are doing. You have to learn to crawl before you run a marathon.

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    You are all over the place....

First, forget about Ableton if you want to learn how to DJ, you need to learn the basics on a DJ program that is made for DJing. Go with a simple controller that you can master and start to come into your own and figuring out your style and where you want to go then you can will know what controller you need to move into to accomplish that but first get the basics down. Learn how to mix tracks correctly, watch tutorials to better understand what you are doing. You have to learn to crawl before you run a marathon.
    This is pretty much my thought.
    When you get your controller or deck and you choose your software prog, keep sync turned off, (you'll understand why, soon enough) learn the art of mixing, if that's the sort of thing you want to do, and have fun doing it..
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I will look into the APC40 more, but would Tracktor Pro 2 be a more beginner friendly program rather than ableton?
    Yes Traktor or Serato would be much more beginner friendly as dj platform.

I was suggesting the APC on the basis that you paid alot of money for Ableton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast