First Big Opening Gig in the city; Few Questions

Default First Big Opening Gig in the city; Few Questions

Hey guys, so I've officially got an opening gig at a nightclub in Manhattan this Friday and I have a few questions for you guys.
    1. In terms of music, the manager of the event wants me to play no deep house and radio commercial music. Usually, the times I've opened at smaller venues, I would play deeper tracks with a lower BPM to get the crowd warmed up. However this promoter seems to set on me playing heavy mashups/progressive tracks from the get-go. Any tips on what I should keep in mind? I don't want to mess up the flow of the guy headlining (not a big name DJ at all).

2. The manager mentioned that I'd be paid based on how many people I begin. I will probably bring around 70 people. The manager mentioned that I would have a guestlist and when my crew comes they will mention my name at the door. So does this mean that they're going to tally up how many people mention my name at the door? I thought a guestlist meant that I'd put people on my guestlist and they'd get admission (this is probably a stupid question but I'm hella confused lol)

3. Last question is regarding the use of CDJ's. I'm planning on just using Rekordbox and exporting the tracks I'll be using onto 2 USB thumbdrives. It is my first time using CDJ's. are there any tips you have? they are going to be 2000NXS. I'm even thinking about using the Sync feature if it works well just to save myself from fucking up.

Check out some video tutorials online, in regards to using the CDJ2000NXS.....
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

2. The manager mentioned that I'd be paid based on how many people I begin. I will probably bring around 70 people. The manager mentioned that I would have a guestlist and when my crew comes they will mention my name at the door. So does this mean that they're going to tally up how many people mention my name at the door? I thought a guestlist meant that I'd put people on my guestlist and they'd get admission (this is probably a stupid question but I'm hella confused lol)
    Guessing he either wants your crew to all pay in, and your fee would be based on a % of that

Or

based on the # of people you bring in (via free guest list) you'll make $3 or something per head based on the fact they would all be buying a few drinks each.

Either way its a shameful way for a promoter to operate IMHO and you'll need someone working the door for you to check the numbers who arrived and you need to clarify how many $ per head.

You should have everything in writing clarifying the agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Guessing he either wants your crew to all pay in, and your fee would be based on a % of that

Or

based on the # of people you bring in (via free guest list) you'll make $3 or something per head based on the fact they would all be buying a few drinks each.

Either way its a shameful way for a promoter to operate IMHO and you'll need someone working the door for you to check the numbers who arrived and you need to clarify how many $ per head.

You should have everything in writing clarifying the agreement.
    Since it really was a once in a blue moon type opportunity for me, I kind of just went with whatever the head promoter said because it's definitely an over-saturated market; everyone and their mother are DJ's nowadays. I've just luckily been able to build my library and mixing skills in the time that the music became popular.

I'm just confused to how the "guestlist" works. I thought guestlist meant that I'd put people on my guestlist and when they arrive they would be allowed in. However, the promoter is stating that when my guests arrive they will drop my name at the door (this is how they're tallying my pay I assume?). I mean I really won't be salty being paid minimally as this may be a foot in the door for other opportunities and whatnot.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by dp6194 View Post
    Since it really was a once in a blue moon type opportunity for me, I kind of just went with whatever the head promoter said because it's definitely an over-saturated market; everyone and their mother are DJ's nowadays. I've just luckily been able to build my library and mixing skills in the time that the music became popular.

I'm just confused to how the "guestlist" works. I thought guestlist meant that I'd put people on my guestlist and when they arrive they would be allowed in. However, the promoter is stating that when my guests arrive they will drop my name at the door (this is how they're tallying my pay I assume?). I mean I really won't be salty being paid minimally as this may be a foot in the door for other opportunities and whatnot.
    Just be sure they aren't short changing you and you know exactly how many people you and your crew bring along.

Never trust a promoter when your fee is based on the door.