Whats the difference between a Mobile DJ and a Club DJ? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo Cub View Post
    I honestly belive it's great training to make you a better Club DJ. I think it's easier to transition to a Club DJ from a Mobile DJ than the other way around.
    I think you're half right. I think it is easier for someone to train as a Mobile DJ and transition into the Club role than the reverse. In most cases, the Mobile DJ gets to know the audience....but the audience gets to know the Club DJ. That shift in focus and attention for both the DJ and the audience is important.

BUT (<-- big but) I will leave judgments about "better" to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    I really don't see how announcing "Congrats to Jenny and Brad on their marriage" will make you a better club DJ
    I can understand maybe 1 in 4 "Club DJs" when they get on the mic. So, better mic technique can be better even for Club DJs.

Mobile DJs have to be multi-taskers who have to pay attention to a LOT more than just the music. That means being VERY focused on things that are happening OUTSIDE the booth. Being able to focus (almost) exclusively on the music is a real joy when I sit in at a Club. BUT...my workflow has been built around me needing time to focus outside the booth - so my overall mixing style is "simple" compared to most club DJs, but I am working on adding some new to me elements to my club sets.

Probably the hardest part for me taking on Club gigs is that I do not have a "preferred musical style." Offered a night to put on "my" show....I have no idea where I would even begin! Well, that's not entirely true...but I certainly do not have my preferred sub-sub-sub-genre of any kind of music.

The deep dive into the music needed for a Club DJ is HARD for me to do. I am way too easily distracted by other links on youtube as I start searching and playing with music. My music collection is seven decades wide, but only barely deeper than "Greatest Hits" albums. The ability to really geek out on a narrow slice of music presents me with the Tyrany of Choice...in a HUGE way.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

I do both club and mobile DJing.

I actually make money doing the mobile gigs which, for me, is the biggest bonus.

I have a lot of respect for those that mobile DJ regularly as it's a proper tough gig. Ignoring the fact that you've got to do all of the set up yourself; dealing with those kinds of crowds is super tough.

One minute you've an older head moaning that you're playing too much new stuff, so you switch to the old stuff, two seconds later you've got the younger heads asking why you're playing 'this old cr@p'

I did a 21st birthday party at the weekend and played, upon request, a mainly current mix of tunes but turned up to find out that the lad is also a mad Elvis fan and they'd booked a tribute act for the night as well, very surreal
    Equipment: 2x CDJ 2000s // Kontrol Z2 // 2x KRK Rokit 5s // Maschine MkII // Scarlett 2i2

Soundcloud Twitter Facebook

Tech Convert

I really don't see how announcing "Congrats to Jenny and Brad on their marriage" will make you a better club DJ

I tried, but I really couldn't connect the dots.
    It can make you better from a crowd reading perspective (Weddings have very wide demographics compared to Clubs). If you're able to juggle that wide mix of people, it will make you that much sharper when you're reading for say 18-27 year olds in clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Club DJ= Young Chicks
    Mobile DJ= GILF's
    hahaha

Tech Convert

Mobile DJs start to bridge into the world of special events companies or just sound companies in general. In essence, larger Mobile DJ companies serve all of the basic functions of a sound company and perhaps provide the DJ and or other services. Basically, DJ + Sound Technician + a little event planning = Mobile DJ.

Club DJ's can vary, but in general are some combination of an artist trying to make their own sound by either combining various sounds or playing what they've produced. Of course the DJ aspect of both can have skills that crossover well in either scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo Cub View Post
    It can make you better from a crowd reading perspective (Weddings have very wide demographics compared to Clubs). If you're able to juggle that wide mix of people, it will make you that much sharper when you're reading for say 18-27 year olds in clubs.
    I understand your point of view... I also know that in clubs(at least around here), DJs are hired based on their style of music.. The promoter should be hiring the proper DJ to play for the night. When I get booked, I know I'm being booked to play my style, so if some kid in the back wants to hear electro house in the middle of my set then he's simply shit out of luck.

As a listener, you should also know where you're going.. If club X plays deep house you don't go there to hopefully catch a dubstep set.

e/ And again, I'm saying this because here nightlife is popular enough to where certain clubs have certain vibes... I can see how you would be correct if maybe playing in a smaller market that only has a few venues to cater to everyone.. Then the DJ would probably find himself having to skillfully read a crowd and adjust.
    Last edited by Kwal; 07-13-2015 at 02:48 PM.

I understand your point of view... I also know that in clubs(at least around here), DJs are hired based on their style of music.. The promoter should be hiring the proper DJ to play for the night. When I get booked, I know I'm being booked to play my style, so if some kid in the back wants to hear electro house in the middle of my set then he's simply shit out of luck.

As a listener, you should also know where you're going.. If club X plays deep house you don't go there to hopefully catch a dubstep set.

e/ And again, I'm saying this because here nightlife is popular enough to where certain clubs have certain vibes... I can see how you would be correct if maybe playing in a smaller market that only has a few venues to cater to everyone.. Then the DJ would probably find himself having to skillfully read a crowd and adjust.
    Well put...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Club DJ= Young Chicks
    Mobile DJ= GILF's
    I want to point out a huge difference between the wedding DJ and doing DJing for everything else. For example I will never in my life do a wedding but block parties and house parties, I`m totally down for that.

Club DJ= young chicks and asshole managers
    Mobile DJ= all types of chicks and more money$$$

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123