Mac Mini or iMac?
    Schalenberg

Default Mac Mini or iMac?

Looking to get a desktop for the house. Trying to decide between a beefed up Mac Mini + monitor or a not-so-crazy iMac. Any thoughts on these two?

I would get the beefed up Mac Mini if it were me.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    I would get the beefed up Mac Mini if it were me.
    There's no real thing as a "Beefed up" Mini anymore since they dropper the Server Version, No Quad core, Nor anymore replaceable Processors or Ram

Imac Quad 2.7 / 16gb / 500gb SSD / 21.5 / Apple keyboard & Mouse = $1999
    Mac Mini Dual core 3.0 / 16gb / 500 SSD / Apple keyboard & Mouse = $1837

So $70 extra for a tasty display, 2 extra cores and fewer cables kicking around the desk, no brainer if you ask me.

However, I would advocate getting Applecare with any mac these days as none can be easily repaired anymore . My 2013 Imac's logic board failed only 3 months out of warranty, cost of replacement parts was ridiculously expensive and ended up picking up a 2011 model for half the cost of the repair!

Schalenberg

Yeah, no longer looking at the mac mini since they're only dual core. I have my eyes on that 27" iMac Retina, but good lord that's a lot of money!

Tech Mentor

just get a used 2011 model that you can repair. pay a premium for a product that isn't as flexible?
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    There's no real thing as a "Beefed up" Mini anymore since they dropper the Server Version, No Quad core, Nor anymore replaceable Processors or Ram

Imac Quad 2.7 / 16gb / 500gb SSD / 21.5 / Apple keyboard & Mouse = $1999
    Mac Mini Dual core 3.0 / 16gb / 500 SSD / Apple keyboard & Mouse = $1837

So $70 extra for a tasty display, 2 extra cores and fewer cables kicking around the desk, no brainer if you ask me.

However, I would advocate getting Applecare with any mac these days as none can be easily repaired anymore . My 2013 Imac's logic board failed only 3 months out of warranty, cost of replacement parts was ridiculously expensive and ended up picking up a 2011 model for half the cost of the repair!
    Well put, I wasn't aware of the specs to be honest. Good to know.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

You can pick up a refurbished retina with 16gb / 512 SSD for $425 less than retail.

Personally I think Refurbs are a better buy as they have been tested far more than "new in the box" products.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0...retina-display

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    You can pick up a refurbished retina with 16gb / 512 SSD for $425 less than retail.

Personally I think Refurbs are a better buy as they have been tested far more than "new in the box" products.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0...retina-display
    Epic deal