Whats the difference between a Mobile DJ and a Club DJ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Whats the difference between a Mobile DJ and a Club DJ?

Both play music in different venues they play different types of music so what's the difference between both DJ's.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

If you're actually being serious............

Mobile jocks take the PA, lights and decks/mixer to a gig, club jocks don't. Club jocks also tend not to do weddings......
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

I was very serious thanks for pointing out the PA system thing. I figure a gig is a gig be it a wedding or a lounge with the obvious differences.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Mobile gigs are in my experience 100% open format and there is no need for any thing besides auto play..... The odd time you do a full ok hard cut style set no one cares or even is bothered to understand the skills required to do a constant moving 3-6hour gig it's really a totally different ball game

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

This

Vs This

Difference is most of the latter make money

Club DJ= Young Chicks
    Mobile DJ= GILF's
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by bc6 View Post
    I was very serious thanks for pointing out the PA system thing. I figure a gig is a gig be it a wedding or a lounge with the obvious differences.
    Apologies if I came across as facetious. I used to roadie for a mobile jock, which translates as I did all the heavy lifting while he stood at the bar. Mobile DJ'ing is a bit odd as it technically requires a much broader musical repertoire than club DJ'ing, although in my limited experience it boiled down to playing the same bunch of 60's-90's records for 4 hours, in more or less the same order, twice a week.
    But the PA thing is definitely part of it and the phrase "mobile DJ" seems to have it's roots more in the fact that the DJ is bringing the disco, avec sound and lights, to you in your function room/youth club/church hall/wherever, rather than perhaps a more literal reading of it alluding to a DJ playing 3 clubs in a night and therefore requiring to be upwardly mobile.

Mobile jocking is in essense A/B DJ'ing, I do know of a guy who tried to autoplay a preselected playlist but that leaves out what little scope for crowd reading you have and he came unstuck in a big way. Also: microphone. Mobile means a lot more of you talking on the mic.

@Jester: Nowt wrong with GILFS mate
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stazbumpa View Post
    Apologies if I came across as facetious. I used to roadie for a mobile jock, which translates as I did all the heavy lifting while he stood at the bar. Mobile DJ'ing is a bit odd as it technically requires a much broader musical repertoire than club DJ'ing, although in my limited experience it boiled down to playing the same bunch of 60's-90's records for 4 hours, in more or less the same order, twice a week.
    But the PA thing is definitely part of it and the phrase "mobile DJ" seems to have it's roots more in the fact that the DJ is bringing the disco, avec sound and lights, to you in your function room/youth club/church hall/wherever, rather than perhaps a more literal reading of it alluding to a DJ playing 3 clubs in a night and therefore requiring to be upwardly mobile.

Mobile jocking is in essense A/B DJ'ing, I do know of a guy who tried to autoplay a preselected playlist but that leaves out what little scope for crowd reading you have and he came unstuck in a big way. Also: microphone. Mobile means a lot more of you talking on the mic.

@Jester: Nowt wrong with GILFS mate

I really do appriciate your response, I guess wanting to be a DJ I forget there is more than one kind of DJ out there. This reminds me of being a teen where the a group of guys would bring their turntables speakers etc and set up in the park but we never called them mobile DJ's but in fact they really were mobile DJs.

Quote Originally Posted by bc6 View Post
    I really do appriciate your response, I guess wanting to be a DJ I forget there is more than one kind of DJ out there. This reminds me of being a teen where the a group of guys would bring their turntables speakers etc and set up in the park but we never called them mobile DJ's but in fact they really were mobile DJs.
    I think you are still confused. Those sound like DJs who were mobile. Not mobile DJs.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Would disagree with the A/B mobile DJ'ing. Unless I have percieved it wrong, I have had the pleasure of being considered a club AND a Mobile DJ, and I have always found the mobile gigs more demanding as a DJ, gear aside, in a club setting, your job really is to keep the clubbers happy, the clubbers already know what type of tunes are being played, you can pre-plan a set.
    Mobile gigs, are really a different scenario, many different types of people, many ages, types of function varies regularly, and'not knowing' what the host may ask you for, or even their guests. From being involved in the 'club' scene as well as the mobile scene, i have aquired a very distinct sound as far as mixing and selection go in the mobile circuit.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast