Moving to Berlin from Detroit

Default Moving to Berlin from Detroit

My friend and I are seriously considering making the move to Berlin. We've never been, but definately know its the place we want to be. We're both (obviously) djs and producers, and figured this would be the place to find the best info. Where are some of the best locations to live on a budget? Best area, lowest rent, best community etc... Any help from the forum would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!

Tech Wizard

Hey! I've lived in Berlin for two years. I can give you some tips.

Hottest areas to live are Kreuzberg, Neukölln, Mitte, Friedrichshain, Prenzlauer Berg, Schöneberg, roughly in that order but definitely depending on taste and lifestyle. They are all rather nice though and under the right conditions I would consider all of them for an apartment.

If you are into the club scene and just want to be in the happening area, then Kreuzberg is where it's at (that's where I live). Neukölln is close enough that it's very integrated into that culture as well. The part of friedrichshain that is close to the river is also a nice spot and a lot of cool things to do and see there.

Now, rent in all these areas is slowly (or fast?) going up. It used to be that Berlin as a whole was just cheap, no matter where you looked, that is changing... although comparing it to other major cities like London, New York, Paris, Amsterdam, rent is still cheap. I'm paying 420 euros for a room in a nice apartment with one flatmate, veeery central (just by görlitzer bhf). I consider my situation all things considered to be quite good, I know people paying more but I also know people that are paying considerably less.

If you want to go into cheaper neighborhoods but that are maybe a bit further away, you might get better deals in Lichtenberg, Moabit, Wedding - but to be honest, these are areas I never go to and never have a reason to go to. So it's a tradeoff.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bergen View Post
    Now, rent in all these areas is slowly (or fast?) going up. It used to be that Berlin as a whole was just cheap, no matter where you looked, that is changing...

Lol. Sounds like Detroit.
    Traxus Interactive Webiste (Lemur template download here)
    Traxus Interactive on Facebook (Most up to date news here)

Thank you so much for all the info, exactly what I was looking for. I'll definitely be messaging you again for more pointers as I get closer to finding a place...really excited to get out of the states and finally make the move...

And yes...sounds like detroit lol

Are there tons of record shops around the areas you described?

Tech Wizard

To be fair I just started collecting vinyl, and I'm into house/techno so I mainly just know Hard Wax and Space Hall, but they are both in the Kreuzberg area. There are probably a ton of others but haven't researched enough.

Quote Originally Posted by bergen View Post
    To be fair I just started collecting vinyl, and I'm into house/techno so I mainly just know Hard Wax and Space Hall, but they are both in the Kreuzberg area. There are probably a ton of others but haven't researched enough.
    There are. Record Loft near Kottbusser Tor is awesome for 2nd hand vinyl. Oye Records (who have a shop in Prenzlauer Berg and now also another one in the Kreuzkölln area) are great allover. Mitte Musik in Friedrichshain (near Warschauer Straße) are quite nice as well. Bass Cadet in Neukölln is supposedly very good, but I haven't been there yet myself (but the selection on their website is great, so I guess the actual store is as well). HHV.de have a great mailorder and a physical shop in Friedrichshain were you can get your order from to save shipping costs. Near Space Hall are a couple other nice ones as well (not as focussed on house/techno though). If one is into Funk/Soul/Jazz/Hiphop, Soultrade is a great one (but I don't know where they are located now, I think it must be at least 12 years or so since I've been there). That's some off the top of my head and I don't even live in Berlin.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/