I'm building a robot that scratches - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

What's the actual surface of a person's hand that touches the record during scratching? By staying close to that you can cut down on weight. It take a very small amount of pressure to stop a record. I imagine something like a rubber ball that spins as the record spins then engages and grips the record when you want it to "scratch".
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

That's actually something I've noticed, if the arm presses down on the record too much, the job actually becomes harder as the slipmat no longer really slips and it starts to fight against the turntable's platter drive too. I wonder how to create something that completely free-wheels without any impedance to the record but can be stopped immediately. That seems like it would be more reliable than something going up and down.

Finally got some progress done on my scratchbot:

lets see... stuff that's happened since the last post:

I got my mechanism parts 3D printed and it seems to mostly work. The grip pad however, it looks like that footprint was not a good shape, I had to modify the 3d printed one with some cardboard to give it a different shape that slips a lot less.

Turns out a lot of the slip is because a servo is not good at applying constant presure so I had to do some programming so it adds a bit more pressure when the arm changes direction. Of course, trying to balance it so that it isn't too light and the record slips, but isn't too hard and the platter slows down or is stopped.

I got a lot of scratching stuff programmed, I subscribed to DJ Short-E's "School of Scratch" which has excellent and clear videos as well as really easy to read and understand TTM-based charts. I first watched a couple of the videos on her youtube before subscribing for all the videos:

I'll be learning scratching stuff myself from these too!

doing lots of work to get this thing working so I can incorporate it for a couple minutes into what could be one of the biggest gigs of my life. which is in 6 days. I know its risky but... I like taking risks! Using the Scratchbot to like 2000+ people... wow it's going to be crazy. (and ofc if it doesn't work out by my gig, I'll just... not include it.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123