HELP - Last checks and tips before my first controller gig.
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default HELP - Last checks and tips before my first controller gig.

So my first gig of the summer season is next weekend and i am doing my final checks after prepping everything. I have selected my pool of tracks...analyzed them in RE and have them beatgrids sorted and all my cue points added. So i am pretty confident that i got it waxed. However.... I do have a few questions on a few things bothering me. I will be playing on a huge outdoor Turbosound Rig set to perfection and i am playing Wav files. My question is. Should i use the autogain in Traktor? Also...should i use the limiter? Lastly....since i have the key codes of the tracks. Can i make use of the key lock? The BPMs only vary by 3 bpms. Eg. Slowest is 145 and the fastest is 148. What do you recommend i set my master volume to? This is definately gonna be my best set yet technically. Put the work in before hand and its a piece of work. The genre is Fullon South African style night time Psytrance. Oh.....there will be a rock pool in the middle of a huge lawn which is going to be the Dancefloor. Titties and ass ya'll........ I will be taking some footage so you all can get a peak at how we do it down here. Thanks!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Convert

Show up in good time.. Check everything works.. Have some tracks to try out all the functions of the controller (just to be sure..)

I spin house, my bpm vary from 124 to 130 (135 if i end the set with a tiesto number)
    I really like that the bpm varies a little.. You can build up a climax curve. (going from 145 -> 148..

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I wouldn't use the limiter if you can avoid it, I'd use autogain as it's one less thing you have to worry about. But, then again, others might disagree with me.

I'd keep the keylock off to free up the resources, and being your pitch will only go up or down (at most) a little more than 2% you won't find a pitch change, almost at all. Set the master volume to whatever works for the system you're using.

And rock out.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Thanks guys. Yeah...will definately test....have a backup set of CDs and something to put the VCI on to absorb some vibration. So amped!!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"

There wont be a varied speed through the set tho. I am using the sync lock. The master tempo will be 147. Got the tracks cued out. Gonna be able to re arrange on the fly and shit. This has not been done here before. Specially in this fashion.

Tech Mentor

I think tempo build up is essential...

Even if you use sync you can manually add like 0.5 bpm every a few songs.

Kick ass and record that shit bruvva!
    I dont use auto gain or the limiter but thats up to you mate. seeing as you'r bpms are within that 6% threshhold with the harmonics side of thing i wouldn't use the keylock either.
    Sounds like a real nice setting to play in, make sure ya get some pics if you have time dude.
    @ Hauz its psytrance mate, its all about the climax lol
    Last edited by Jester; 11-16-2009 at 04:22 AM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

wouldn't setting the master to 0db work perfect straight off? as the signal is being normalized (correct term?)
    and +1 on auto gain

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Default Re: HELP - Last checks and tips before my first controller gig.

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee
    wouldn't setting the master to 0db work perfect straight off? as the signal is being normalized (correct term?)
    and +1 on auto gain
    theoretically, yes.

this is if the gain adjustments in traktor meant anything :P but as you can tell, you won't be clipping if you push your gain on your deck past the max to where the channel level is maxed out. this leads me to believe traktor isn't using any kind of standard analog algorithim where standard numbers mean much :P

but possibly?
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Cheers all!

Yeah, so i have checked and when I run my tracks and the EQ's are all level....its in the red until i turn down the Master Volume to -3db.

They are Wav files from a CD, so they are mastered etc.

Should I be seeing such high levels?

I think I will use the Autogain (This will definately be an advantage).
    The limiter will still leave room for distortion of you pump the EQ's too much etc.

Basically, I leave it all level. The tracks don;t need anymore boosting in anyway.

I usually just use the gain slightly when bringing in a track. I turn the gain down a tad and then once I am about to change the bass over, I level the gain out again.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast