S8 as First DJ Controller?
    Tech Student

Default S8 as First DJ Controller?

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking at getting into DJing and after a decent amount of research I am leaning towards the S8 as my first controller. Considering I have no other gear I like the idea of an all-in-one unit. It is also worth mentioning that I recently purchased a Maschine mkII that I have been using for production and completely fell in love with it, which is probably why I'm drawn to the Native Instruments gear. I am aware the the s8 is a new style controller with the lack of jog wheels, but as someone with no prior experience it is my understanding that it will probably not be much of an issue to get used to the touch strips. I will mostly be working with electronic music and not extremely interested turntables/learning how to scratch.

Anyway I just want some input here from more experienced DJs if the s8 sounds like this would be a good way to go for me.

Thanks!

I own the s8 and I love it, if you are going to be playing out it is a pain in the ass because of the size and I usually just end up playing on cdjs when out so almost nothing transfers over when using rekordbox usb. I would just keep that in mind. If you plan on just playing at home then you cant beat the s8 for the price/function.
    Setup - DJM-900Nexus, Kontrol F1, Kontrol x1 MK2, Lenovo Yoga 11s i7 8gig ram, 256 SSD.

Systematik

I don't recommend the S8 as a controller for starters at all.
    It's better to purchase something in a lower price range if you are just starting out. Imagine that you don't like DJing after all, then you're stuck with a controller you spent nearly a 1000 dollars on.

I'd recommend going for the S2/S4, perhaps Z1 + X1, or if you're intrested in remix decks/stems go for Z1 + X1 + F1.

I personally use the DDJ ERGO along with Traktor, after two years of use and a few gigs, I can say I'm quite experienced and the ERGO still serves all my needs.

As all of these controllers are reasonably more affordable, you could maybe get a nice pair of DJ headphones and speakers with them?
    Last edited by Systematik; 08-10-2015 at 05:02 PM.

the displays on the s8/d2 are quite fantastic tho... for home use the s8 would be great but agreed its a lot to splash out if u maybe change your mind later and u dont need all its features.

the x1+z1 is a great+cheap setup and easy to fit into any bag when playing out...

if u really like the idea of the s8 (or d2's) u could always just start out totally free using a midi mapping for your maschine probably the 1st thing u should try anyway since its free...

not sure how to link to the maschine mapping section due to the javascript but u can choose from the pulldown here
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Do it
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

The S8 is for sure overkill in regards of features, etc when just starting. But there are some aspects that make it quite interesting for beginners too:
    1. includes full traktor scratch license. Many cheaper (non-NI) controllers only have some kind of basic license. The S8 comes with a Scratch License which means you can use it with all features and even Digital Vinyl System later
    2. The S8 is a fullstandalone 4 channel mixer with filters, eq, countless inputs etc. If you ever get your hand on some vinyl and turntables, or someone lends you some cdjs you can add them whenever you want. Same goes for your maschine, you can mix your maschines sound in on one of the channels.
    3. Playing with the S8 is incredible fun. I think it will keep you motivated for a long time.
    4. with stems just released I guess the reselling value of S8 units goes up.

Some good advice in this thread, mate.

I certainly think the S8 is overkill for a first controller.

You will definitely be overwhelmed with it. If you're certain that the all-in-one route is where you want to be, then get a cheap all-in-one to learn the basics of Traktor, and progres to the S8 in the future.

Seriously - the S8 is a BEAST - but it's a lot to take on for a first controller.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

The S8 is very powerful...but offers the Tyranny of Choice when it comes to learning the craft. There are soooo many options, it can be difficult to pick a "main" workflow.

A "basic" two deck controller (e.g. S2) would allow you to learn the "basics" of the craft and play around for a relatively low entry cost. That will help you to figure out the workflow and features that you want to use. The NI controllers are favoring a "modular" approach, and you can add dedicated controllers for two additional decks or the remix decks. There is good support for the Midi Fighter and MF Twister add ons.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tyranny of Choice
    That's it right there.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I bought the controller as my first one, very easy to get into the joy of mixing without a steep learning trajectory.
    And after that just dive in the remix decks and stems...