pads or arcade buttons, which do you prefer?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default pads or arcade buttons, which do you prefer?

I have never used aracade buttons for launching sounds, only at real aracade machines years ago...

Do you think those are more acurate than pads for a dj?

Of course in a dj environment you don't need velocity... but what about the feel?

Tech Mentor

I personally like pads because you don't have the travel time you would in arcade buttons. But goddamn are those little clicky buttons fun to press.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Arcade buttons have superior haptic feedback and they are reallllly fun to play.

Pads have crappy haptic feedback but they can be velocity sensitive.

I dont really like one over the other to be honest, arcade buttons are better for some things (anything that doesnt require velocity sensitivity) while pads are better for other things (anything that requires velocity sensitivity).

Some day someone smart will make velocity sensitive arcade buttons, that will be the day i cream my pants.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Some day someone smart will make velocity sensitive arcade buttons, that will be the day i cream my pants.
    lol

I'll have to try those arcade buttond

Quote Originally Posted by pier View Post
    Of course in a dj environment you don't need velocity... but what about the feel?
    Don't need velocity, but could be used similar to a drum pad setup where your hotcues actually take on the volume of the velocity, which could lead to some interesting possibilities.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJPhaidon View Post
    Don't need velocity, but could be used similar to a drum pad setup where your hotcues actually take on the volume of the velocity, which could lead to some interesting possibilities.
    Yeah... but afaik traktor doesn't understand velocity messages. Or any other dj software that I know.

Yeah... but afaik traktor doesn't understand velocity messages. Or any other dj software that I know.
    Lots of midi programs do, if you to use them with Traktor you will need to run a program like Bomes to turn them into a usable midi message.

Tech Guru

They exist, mike was thinking about using them afaik, but they were too bulky and have a limited amount of cycles before they fuck out..... else I've smoked too much crack and am making all this up.

Tech Mentor

Lots of midi programs do, if you to use them with Traktor you will need to run a program like Bomes to turn them into a usable midi message.

So I could transform veolocity into a cc message?

That is cool.

So I could transform veolocity into a cc message?

That is cool.
    The Akai LPD 8 can do this by default. It either sends regular Note messages or CC messages that take the velocity into account.

I wouldn't say pads have "crappy" haptic feedback. Ok, the ones on the nano are a bit too stiff for my taste. But I love pad mashing on the Maschine. It comes down to personal preference, I guess.
    It's also a supply-related thing. There are lots of different pad controllers around. But no arcade button controllers except for that piece of vaporware we keep hearing about.
    Everytime you hit SYNC, an old paradigm dies a little.
    Setup: MBP 13", Audio Kontrol 1, VCI 100 1.3, Maschine, Traktor Pro 1.2.2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast