Phrase matching in techno - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Fmshred View Post
    my style of mixing is pretty much like this. as you see he´s very busy playing a lot of tracks. is he still counting phrases in this short amount of time? how is this possible?
    he's on his phrases correctly, and doing it very well.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    i havent counted a beat in...well... ever.
    Whoa whoa whoa. You can count now? Mods please close this thread. Kwal can finally count. Let's pack it in, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Schalenberg View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa. You can count now? Mods please close this thread. Kwal can finally count. Let's pack it in, guys.
    thx bud i study hard

Tech Guru

okay. any tips on how to make phrase matching easy? for me it is a bit confusing and time consuming to count the phrases of both tracks...and when im playing 3 decks i think its not possible.
    You should be aiming to be able to phrase match two decks without counting, before you work up to three decks.

okay. any tips on how to make phrase matching easy? for me it is a bit confusing and time consuming to count the phrases of both tracks...and when im playing 3 decks i think its not possible.
    who told you three decks was going to be easy?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Convert

if you're busy counting trying to match the phrase then you're not really taking the time to listen and get the true feel etc ...unless youre new at Djing

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Killing time View Post
    he's on his phrases correctly, and doing it very well.
    X2
    2x Technics sl 1200mk2, Vinyl, Shure m44-7, Xone 22, Audio Technica ATH M50X, Traktor A10, Maschine, Logic X, Ableton Live.

if you can count to 4, do that 4x
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Many of the tracks in that Jonas Kopp set have bizarre confusing riffs - for example, playing the synth melody in 3/4 over a 4/4 beat structure - this creates a strange out-of-phase rhythmic feel. That isn't to say that these tracks don't follow a 4/4 structure overall, but it is harder to count along - that's kind of the point: it's part of the spacey atmosphere. Not sure why everyone is so unwilling to acknowledge this.

Some examples:
    Mike Storm - Radiation Beams
    Jeroen Search - Ad Infinitum
    Mike Storm - Planet Silbi
    Jonas Kopp - Seven
    Antonio De Angelis - Divergent (Mike Storm Remix)

...If you count along in fours, you will notice that the riff doesn't always start on the "one", in fact it constantly changes.

If you stick to more obviously 4/4 riff oriented songs, you'll find it easier to match phrases; it requires less concentration. Here are some examples from the mix you linked:
    Function - F4
    Jeroen Search - Fragments
    Jeroen Search - Lost contact

...Counting along in fours, it makes perfect sense; you will notice the riff and "phrase" always starting on the "one".

PRO TIP: (Actually, it's an amateur trick) Instead of counting bars/beats, listen out for the change that happens at the end of a phrase (another amateur trick - listen out for a crash cymbal!). And, instead of dropping track 2 on the "one", drop it on the 2, or the 3 (beat 2 or 3 on track 2, on top of beat 2 or 3 on track 1). BOOM! You mix is in perfect phase everytime. You can confirm that your mix is in phase by listening out for the changes in BOTH tracks that should happen at exactly the same time (track one will probably be another crash cybal, nd track 2 will mpst likely be the introduction of a bass or a melody part).

All this until you learn to phrase match without counting in your head (it will come! Bu there's no shortcut to this - your brain wil just adjust to it over time) and then you can drop track 2 on the one as much as you like.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast