Phrase matching in techno
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Phrase matching in techno

Hey

I would like to know your opinion if phrase matching is important in techno like rødhåd,dettmann etc.. I personally never did it and mostly have no time if im busy beat matching and prepearing 3 decks. Do you think its important in this kind of music or can it be done without?

Thanks!

It is very important.

/thread
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I dont know how'd you mix at all without phrase matching tbh mate, moreso if you're using 3 decks and snippets of other tunes as essentially you're making your own phrases. Its the difference between making a decent build up and changes in your mix and making a fuddled mess that jars the floor/mix.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Tech Wizard

my style of mixing is pretty much like this. as you see he´s very busy playing a lot of tracks. is he still counting phrases in this short amount of time? how is this possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Fmshred View Post
    ...as you see he´s very busy playing a lot of tracks. is he still counting phrases in this short amount of time? how is this possible?
    If you are really listening you shouldn't really need to count. 16/32/64 should more or less be instinct.

As has already been implied, I don't think most musically-inclined people will need to devote a lot of thought or calculation in order to bring a track in at the start of a phrase.

Having said that, I believe this is less critical in techno than in other styles of club music - dubstep for example. Techno has a greater variety in its structures (lots of 24 bar intros for example), and its intro and breakdown sections often sound a lot like the main segments, only without the bass. As opposed to having lots of elements being taken out for the intro/break in dubstep.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    It is very important.

/thread
    Vouch

/thread

Ditto... ^^^
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Wizard

okay. any tips on how to make phrase matching easy? for me it is a bit confusing and time consuming to count the phrases of both tracks...and when im playing 3 decks i think its not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Fmshred View Post
    okay. any tips on how to make phrase matching easy? for me it is a bit confusing and time consuming to count the phrases of both tracks...and when im playing 3 decks i think its not possible.
    it is possible

practice with 2 decks and learn the nature of phrases.. it'll come with time. i havent counted a beat in...well... ever. you just know the structure and your tracks after a while.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast