Do I HAVE to use stems now?

Default Do I HAVE to use stems now?

Ok, I saw the stems video with D2 hardware, and I was like,"Traktor and this #future of djing stuff is making my head melt, too complex for me".
    My question is do I have to do it this way now or can I just mix like normal ?
    I don't think this direction is for me and I am now considering other dj software if this keeps up.
    So, I suppose then, I have a second question. Should I consider other software.
    ty guys.

Quote Originally Posted by theconsole View Post
    Ok, I saw the stems video with D2 hardware, and I was like,"Traktor and this #future of djing stuff is making my head melt, too complex for me".
    My question is do I have to do it this way now or can I just mix like normal ?
    I don't think this direction is for me and I am now considering other dj software if this keeps up.
    So, I suppose then, I have a second question. Should I consider other software.
    ty guys.
    Nope, tarktor will be traktor just added features nobody will force you to use stems. same as remix decks that option is there already, but you don't have to use it. Might be fun though.
    http://soundcloud.com/thom-b/
    2011-04-14-the-corners-of-my

KONTROL S8, 2x KONTROL D2, XONE DB4, traktor audio 10, kontrol x1, pioneer hdj 2000, software traktor scratch pro 2 & ableton suite 9

Tech Guru

No I think the majority of Traktor uses won't use stems that much, I'll have a play around with it, but I don't think "normal" djing will go out of flavour anytime soon. Stems format could be cool for your own drum loops for example you could have a set of loops setup that don't have to change all that much. Bass drum goes on one track, bass on a other hats on another and some synth or sounds on the last one. You could then bring these loops in and out with the volume controls. Thus not needing to tie up whole tracks.

I just don't honk the formats going to work for whole songs for the majority of people.

Was is already more expensive than mp3s and now they want to make it even more expensive for stems

Stems will die a death. Anyone that wants to do this is already doing it with Ableton Live (Tom Cosm, iLL Gates, Robert Henke, etc...).

The only people that will use the Stems funtionality in Traktor will make their own Stems. I don't see the format of a Stem File lasting very long. 4 tracks/4 parts is not a lot - it's pretty hard to condense a whole arrangement into 4 parts...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

I concur good sir

How they think it's going to get off the ground properly is beyond me

Let's just see how far this will go. For now it offers new creativity within Traktor, and it is a small alternative to Ableton.

I myself am more of a traditional DJ, I mostly play two decks on my S4, with added functionality of the Spectra and Twister when needed or wanted.
    Though this adds on getting back to rethinking my workflow and mappings.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

I think it'll be big... but only if producers aren't afraid of having their tunes unofficially remixed or edited/bootlegged.

Tech Convert

Great idea but I also can't see it taking off as much as I hope it does.

Most people already aren't paying for music, STEMS are more expensive, also more effort for the producer to make, runs the risk of a song been edited / bootlegged and also runs the risk of people hearing the track out and thinking its wack because the levels are out.

Tech Mentor

I never thought this gimmick really had much of a chance to begin with but now that they want to charge you more for the STEM file? Forget that. We'll see how long before they drop the price once they see no one is buying.

I'm still to be convinced that it will significantly change DJing. As others have stated, it is not as flexible as Ableton for those who really want to go to town in this area.

If you look on Boiler Room, you'll see that the majority of underground DJs are still using CDJs or turntables!

It feels a little gimmicky to me.
    Technics 1200 x2 | Pioneer XDJ-1000 x2 | Pioneer DJM-900SRT | Mukatsuku Record Weights x2 | Serato DJ | Rekordbox | Pioneer EFX-500 | Ableton Live 9 | Push | Roland TR-8 | Roland TB-3 | Roland System-1 | Korg MS-10 | Akai MPC-2500 | Mackie Onyx 1620i | Apogee Duet | MOTU Micro Lite | Tapco S-8 Monitors
    www.slidingdownthebanister.com www.facebook.com/SlidingDownTheBanister