Best Ways To Advertise
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Best Ways To Advertise

I'm trying to get my DJ business going, and i need to tell you some things about myself to keep this thread more on track with my question.

I run a lawn service and am familiar with advertising but not sure what has worked with the dj scene, I am a senior in high school and want to try dj more because its something i really enjoy. I am working on business cards and will order them soon. I have all equipment and music I need to start up.

Not sure if i want to get in to weddings as much as smaller parties and things of that nature. I'll probably take what I can get at first and grow by word of mouth. I will get a facebook page up and going for my new company, and get some Craigslist ads up as a starting point.

Let me know what all you guys think. Super excited to get this thing going and hope to have a gig every couple weeks booked throughout winter as a means of income since lawncare will be dead until April.

Do people REALLY hire DJ's for small/house parties?

Everyone's got at least 1 DJ friend, so free DJ's for parties are abundant.

The truth is, if you're gonna run a successful DJ business, weddings are gonna make up a very large part of your income - and weddings are a revenue stream that you can't afford to ignore.

If you're really serious about running a DJ business, head over to the VDJ forum. There are a lot of very successful DJ business owners over there that are willing to help.

Don't be a snob. Register there now.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Do people REALLY hire DJ's for small/house parties?

Everyone's got at least 1 DJ friend, so free DJ's for parties are abundant.

The truth is, if you're gonna run a successful DJ business, weddings are gonna make up a very large part of your income - and weddings are a revenue stream that you can't afford to ignore.

If you're really serious about running a DJ business, head over to the VDJ forum. There are a lot of very successful DJ business owners over there that are willing to help.

Don't be a snob. Register there now.
    Didn't even know they had a forum on there. I'll register later and start asking some questions. It's not that i don't want to do weddings, i just dont want weddings to be all i do.

If you really want to make money, you can't afford not to weddings.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I've been doing parties for friends and family for a few years now and have just moved to expand.

I've actually done a few house parties where I've been paid but the majority of it is weddings and birthday parties. As Patch said, you can't afford not to do weddings, the money is there for them.

In the month that I've actually started to advertise, I've got 3 weddings, 3 birthdays and a Christmas party.
    Equipment: 2x CDJ 2000s // Kontrol Z2 // 2x KRK Rokit 5s // Maschine MkII // Scarlett 2i2

Soundcloud Twitter Facebook

Tech Wizard

So far it's just word of mouth, have a retirement party, and 2 school dances and quite possibly trying to get my high school homecoming dance. In the beginning do you guys just take what you ca get for work, or do you pick and choose?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you really want to make money, you can't afford not to weddings.
    This is literally the most insightful post every made on this forum... my experience starting a wedding DJ business this year proves Patch's post to be 100% on the money. Money being the operative word.

Tech Wizard

word of mouth is the best advertising you can get. i was just talking to another mobile DJ today, and he just keeps upping his rate because he wants to phase out, saying 25 years is enough. he's at $900-$1200 for some events (not a massive setup) and people still get him because people talk.

In the same breath though, if you have a couple of bad events, that word of mouth will kill you in a smaller community.

I hired a graphic designer to make up a logo for me to use so i could brand my company, and make it stand out from all the other mobile guys. i also had stickers made up, and am seriously considering a batch of hats/caps next. it's all about promoting, and presenting your brand in the best light for it.

For the record, it cost me about $400 to get my logos designed by a guy here in canada.

barstar.jpg

Not bad i'd say

EDIT: Background isn't coming through as white, but you get the gist of it

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barstarsounds View Post
    word of mouth is the best advertising you can get.
    It really isn't you know.

It's ok and referrals from previous gigs can also bring in work but having a great website with excellent SEO is 'the' single best way to be found and booked. Fact.

Having a well designed logo and an engaging website is vital. Who's gonna wear a cap? That's a waste of money in my mind. Save the money for Facebook adverts and blog advertising. If you aren't a big club DJ nobody is gonna wear your brand.
    I had badges made and they are very cool and people wear them cus they can take them off. They can also put them on bags etc.

You need to think less locally. Most of my wedding gigs are 100+ miles away. I get very little in my own city or county because that isn't where the money is.

The wedding DJ industry is different in the Canada/US to the UK though. Those prices that you mention are above the usual basic standard UK wedding DJ but lower than mine. If you have a great brand and something that makes you stand out from the crowd (and it is crowded in the US, I know you are in Canada) you can command more money.
    People will pay for quality.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    It really isn't you know.

It's ok and referrals from previous gigs can also bring in work but having a great website with excellent SEO is 'the' single best way to be found and booked. Fact.
    This is true as well. a properly laid out webpage will def. net you more customers than word of mouth. the area i service spans about 300 KM, and because of my background as a construction electrician throughout the smaller communities up here, word of mouth has worked well for me. You need to keep in mind that as you stated every area is different, the town i grew up in only has a population of 10,000. The other places i've worked/lived are smaller still, if this is the type of area you'll be playing in, don't discount the fact that word will spread. Good or bad.

As far as the website goes, don't do what i did and wake up hungover wondering why you bought a domain the night before without knowing how to make an actual site lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast