DJ's in clothing stores
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default DJ's in clothing stores

Hey guys just returned from Vegas and extremely disappointed I didn't hit a single club (gf was sick on the trip so couldn't really go out all hours of the night) I missed Z-trip with MSTRKRFT at Rain grrrr. But one thing I saw was a DJ i playing in a clothing store. This isn't the first time I'd seen this, also in a store in vancouver. My question is what do you guys think of this? I'd really like to do this I think it's a good way to get exposure and just be heard. There's a boardshop here in town and I kind of know the owner. What would be the best way to approach this, has anyone else done this sort of thing.

Yeah I see it in malls on weekends all the time. It is a job and something to do but you're not going to get any exposure, you're basically just playing background music and acting like a glorified ipod playlist. The stores really do it just to have a live DJ in the store as a hip image. You have no crowd who cares what's playing or that pays any attention to you are the music for the most part, the only notice you will get is another DJ once in a while.

I would still take it just to get paid to basically practice, depending on the store. A lot have their own gear which is really bad from what I've seen. The best clothing store setup I saw (Guess) was an actual booth with a DJM-400 and CDJ-800s. Otherwise it's usually some turntables and a numark mixer or all stanton/numark gear.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I've seen this a bunch of times and it usually bothers me because it's music I hate being played very loud and wafting into the hallways (or streets) where I'm trying to avoid dealing with it. But I'm an arrogant, elitist ass

If you want to do this then yeah, ask the boardshop owner. It can't hurt. Though, you'll probably have to provide everything. Pitch it like "I'll create a different atmosphere that will keep people mulling around wanting to hear music.

Keep in mind, though, that there is a completely different psychology to this and you're not trying to get people to dance. If it's something you want to keep doing you're trying to keep people shopping. Something totally different
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Yeah I've seen this at the AX store... DJ was sooooo cool he was wearing sunglasses... inside the store...
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Tech Convert

Lmao at Quenepas

Quote Originally Posted by Quenepas View Post
    Yeah I've seen this at the AX store... DJ was sooooo cool he was wearing sunglasses... inside the store...

lol

Tech Guru

he needs those sunglasses so he can leer at the women all day without them noticing.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    he needs those sunglasses so he can leer at the women all day without them noticing.
    lol!

My little brother (phospher) plays every friday/saturday night in Kelowna, British Columbia at a store called X.10sion 207.

As well I have seen various other djs playing around town in the Kelowna Mall at place like sear's Mac Make up area, Cream hair salon etc....

certainly some of it is just them jumping on the dj band wagon. However opens up a lot of possibilities for us and gigs.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Tech Guru

"he needs those sunglasses so he can leer at the women all day without them noticing."

This is finally the only legit reason i've heard for wearing sunglasses indoors. I dig the whole creating a different atmosphere. I have a lot of chill hip hop that would go well with the place and it'd just be nice to get to play out. I'm not saying it would be an everyday thing but for big events that they have like big sales. I think with Djing becoming more mainstream it's just a different angle of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast