Grounded Macbook
    Tech Guru

Default Grounded Macbook

I use a 13" Macbook Air, which has a 45W MagSafe charger.

This charger comes with 2 power conectors, one big cable that is grounded and a little adapter which is not grounded.

How important is grounding the Macbook while playing? Is it ok to not use the grounded cable?

Thanks.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Tech Guru

Typically it's good to ground any electrical device. But if you ever hear a hum in your audio, it's worth a try to switch out to the ungrounded adapter.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    Typically it's good to ground any electrical device. But if you ever hear a hum in your audio, it's worth a try to switch out to the ungrounded adapter.
    Really? Just before reading "ungrounded adapter" I could swear you would say "grounded adapter". I didn't know the ground wire could cause hum. Thanks for the info.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Tech Wizard

i was under the impression that as long as they were all at the same potential to ground (same circuit) then it would decrease the chances of a hum?

Tech Guru

Grounding can cause a hum for 2 common reasons. First, you can have a ground loop. In any DJ booth-type situation, there are going to be multiple paths to ground. And multiple potentials, creating a ground loop. This manifests itself as a constant hum that is the frequency of your AC waveform (audio samples here).

Second, a lot of devices will dump "noise" down a ground line. This is usually switching noise (like a refrigeration unit or a fog machine) or otherwise poor electrical design on devices attached to that ground. This can manifest itself and any kind of crazy noise - from morse code sounding chattering to tweeter popping snaps and woofer blowing pops. I had a computer once that was super quiet unless I used the trackpad - in which case it would chatter like R2D2 having a stroke. Thanks HP.

So yeah, sometimes dropping the ground is a good way to go. But hey, I also like not getting shocked. So my rule of thumb is only drop ground if you are addressing a noise issue. And then only until you figure out a better solution. In the US, there are some great products that can fix ground loops without fucking up your audio quality or dropping the ground (Ebtech HumX for example).

Actually, you mean "lift" the ground. Meaning to not ground. Dropping the ground, technically, means to ground something. Just didn't want any confusion. Always ground electronics and sound gear. If there's a hum then you can cycle though testing your gear until you find the "culprit" of the loop and lift it's ground.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Guru

So am I crazy to not ground my macbook? Or is it just something you should do to be extra protective, cus that grounded macbook cable sucks lol

yah i never noticed a grounded cable for my MBP.... been using ungrounded for a year now....
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

interesting topic
    im also surprised to read the grounded cable can cause hum
    will be testing out on this
    SoundCloud <-- All my mixes are available for a free download.