What is "advanced"?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default What is "advanced"?

Hey there guys!

I am practicing my DJ skills a lot at home. I play various genres of House music and some Pop music for the wedding. So as I said - I am practicing at home a lot. I am using a mobile DJ gear (yes I know I should consider upgrading) with Serato DJ Intro. Now I know beat matching, phrasing, effects (at least some of them, depends on gear obviously), mixing in key, some of the transition techniques etc. Recently I began learning to use acapellas in mixing house music. Now I need some help from more advanced DJs.
    Guys please tell me, what is "advanced DJ"? What do you guys practice? What is beyond mixing intro/outro or chorus/verse? Guys I'm desperate, need some advice!

This is "advanced" (Canada stand UP)

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by dj_adm View Post
    This is "advanced" (Canada stand UP)

Okay, I do respect DJs that scratch and with this much of skill. But I was looking more into House music side. I know some are scratching with house music as well. Maybe someday... But for now it's not for me.

"Advanced DJing" is a completely subjective notion because what one person deems advanced, another will see as merely superfluous and/or annoying to listen to.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

Dont worry about what's advanced or not man. Just have fun and enjoy yourself. If it sounds good, then do it, master it, and have a good time.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Advanced house mixes? There's so many inspiring DJs, but this Kissy Sell Out set always gets me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stazbumpa View Post
    "Advanced DJing" is a completely subjective notion because what one person deems advanced, another will see as merely superfluous and/or annoying to listen to.
    No.

That's exactly like saying there is no 'Advanced Guitar' skills.

There are technical skills that are advanced; just because someone doesn't like metal guitar shreds ("Superfluous/annoying") doesn't deny the skill that guitarist has.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bEasy View Post
    Now I know beat matching, phrasing, effects (at least some of them, depends on gear obviously), mixing in key, some of the transition techniques etc.
    Do you "know" the skill, or do you "own" the skill? Can you beatmix to a song on the radio? Can you do a long mix with one (or both) tracks having a live drummer? Can you beatmix between two covers of the same song (maybe at different tempos), blending back and forth between them?

"They" (who exactly are "they"???) say....

Beginners practice until the CAN get it RIGHT.
    Experts practice until the CAN NOT get it WRONG.

That's a reasonable place to start a discussion about skill improvement, but a bad place to end one. I find the Dreyfus model of still acquisition to be the best overall representation of how my own skills (across a WIDE range of activities) have grown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreyfu...ll_acquisition

Quote Originally Posted by bEasy View Post
    Guys please tell me, what is "advanced DJ"? What do you guys practice? What is beyond mixing intro/outro or chorus/verse? Guys I'm desperate, need some advice!
    How is your improvisation? Ean is putting out some "freestyle" or "improv" One Take songs. This is an example of a "more advanced" technique, but may not be applicable to your workflow or style of DJing that you are envisioning.

https://soundcloud.com/ean-golden/se...olden-original

How are you at developing a "story" in the music arc as you mix?

http://djtechtools.com/2013/10/13/th...th-your-music/

These are both "more advanced" skills as they require that the "mechanical skills" be REALLY solid so that the focus can be on guiding the composition.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Guru

I think you can clearly see that there are two types of DJ success, being respected by other DJs and being loved by a great number of fans. Sometimes these two things walk together, sometimes they just doesn't. Just be happy about what you do

Best thing to get better is to play hours and hours long every week, if not every day... just mix a lot. If you are not into practicing you will be a terrible DJ, period.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast