Beginner Seeking Advice!
    Tech Student

Default Beginner? Traktor vs Serato and Numark NV vs Kontrol S4

I'm a beginner hoping to delve into DJ-ing as a hobby. I hope to get to a place where I can perform publicly, but I don't expect DJ-ing to ever be my full time career. That being said, I would love advice on whether I should go the Serato or Traktor route. The controllers I am looking at are either the Numark NV or the Traktor Kontrol S4, but I haven't been able to decide between the two. Help!
    Last edited by AAG812; 09-15-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Tech Guru

What genre of music do you want to play?

In my opinion, Traktor is better for Techno, Tech House, Deep, EDM... while Serato is better for Hip Hop, Old School (DVS [google it if you don't know what it means]).

Do you want to play on clubs? Do the following:
    Before buying a controller buy the software and play with it for a while. After that buy two USB cables and use CDJs HID (use CDJs as controllers) on some studio or DJ shop near to you. Don't waste your money on expensive top of the line controllers just because some website is telling you to. Only buy expensive controllers if you really need more buttons then the ones available on a CDJ (of course you should buy a cheap controller to emulate CDJs at home, cus you definately shouldn't buy those if you don't even know what software to use yet).

Do you want to play on private parties? Do this:
    After buying the software and playing for some time (with no controller, or with a cheap one) ask yourself if you really need jogwheels (those two wheels on the S4 or on the Numark NV). Only buy a controller with jogwheels if you really need them! Cus those can be pretty useless for many of us, me included. If not used, jogwheels only add area and weight to controllers, so be wise.

Do some searching about modular controllers. They can be cheaper and much more efficient than big ass controllers with tons of things you won't use.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

If I was starting all over again, the only thing that I would take into consideration when choosing gear and software, would be how well the software and hardware integrate.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

Try using Traktor and Serato before you sink $ into a controller. Once you've determined what software you prefer it will help narrow down the controller search.

Have not used either the S4 or the Numark NV. But I've heard many good things about the S4.

Don't think music type comes into it, it's down to the software you prefer. I've seen some turntablists for example using Serato, while others use Traktor (Grandmaster Flash for one)
    Reason Serato gets so highly associated with Hip hop and turntablism, is because it was very successful with DVS before anyone else, becoming the choice of Digital DJ's who still wanted to use vinyl as they always had, and it did it so well. I remember using Stanton's FinalScratch, and found it fascinatingly good, but that was a few years ago now, their proprietary software (which incidentally pulled it's socks up and became Traktor) wasn't just as good as serato for DVS - this has since evolved, and has become it's own subjective debate.
    I have friends that take on similar work to me, that don't use the same software as me (traktor) they use Serato, VDJ and even Mixvibes... It's comfort and personal aesthetics, and maybe features that one program is heavier with than another, is what counts, not what music you want to play, The programs all do the same sort of thing, offering varying features.
    Integration with hardware as mentioned, is definitely an essential part of Digital DJ'n!
    Go to a local store, chat to the guys who sell this stuff, get hands on some bits of kit and see what works for you, what feels good, and what you can afford, take it from there. Know your gear, know your music, then get to know the audience you want to play to.
    Last edited by DJAdeSands; 09-16-2015 at 06:06 AM.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by AAG812 View Post
    I'm a beginner hoping to delve into DJ-ing as a hobby. I hope to get to a place where I can perform publicly, but I don't expect DJ-ing to ever be my full time career. That being said, I would love advice on whether I should go the Serato or Traktor route. The controllers I am looking at are either the Numark NV or the Traktor Kontrol S4, but I haven't been able to decide between the two. Help!
    Go for the S4!
    Why?
    - software (Traktor) included
    - works out of the box
    - best hardware/software communication, because the S4 was made for Traktor and built from the same company (NI)

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by c0nsul View Post
    - best hardware/software communication, because the S4 was made for Traktor and built from the same company (NI)
    That is not a good point IMO.

I've seen S4's bug and once I saw one refusing to connect with Traktor. While I use a Xone:K2 for years and never had a single problem. I think any MIDI controller made by a solid company (like NI, A&H, Novation, etc.) will be good in terms of hardware/software communication. I think it is just a matter of updating software and hardware and using quality cables/power supply.

BTW, never saw a X1 bug or anything, so, if any controller should be called the "best in communication with traktor", I would say it is definately the X1.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Quote Originally Posted by DJAdeSands View Post
    coffee.jpg