Advice! Part One of DJ Setup: Buying the right laptop (pc or...mac?)
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Advice! Part One of DJ Setup: Buying the right laptop (pc or...mac?)

Hello Ean and DJs,

I am young newb from Burma and I'd like to get my hands wet. I seek advice on what laptop to purchase this Black Friday. I am keeping in mind that in the near future - say before the year ends, I am looking to purchase a VCI 100 and a soundcard. I haven't decided which soundcard yet! But I hope to use Tracktor with the VCI and maybe Ableton in the fuuuuture. Sucks to talk about things that haven't been accomplished yet, but I guess I have to keep these things in mind for the initial purchase.

laptop budget: 700-1000 obo

I might consider a mac pro too, but they are much more expensive and I've always been PC fan/Mac hater (so I'd like to know if its really worth it and if it's time I get off the PC high horse). Especially after reading this:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/11/17...ying-too-hard/

Another thing - If I do get a macbook pro - is 13" sufficient for screen size? What do people use?

Thanks alot I would appreciate any and all comments, questions, suggestions.

-Lola
    Last edited by lola; 11-17-2009 at 01:04 PM.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I'm saying this before the posts begin.

Do not turn this thread into a "Macs rock PCs suck" or vice versa or I will lock it. Never productive, never helpful.

At that, lola, do a few searches on the forum. There are TONS of discussions on what you can do. In the end it all comes down to preference. A solid PC laptop will last you for years (as mine have) and a solid Mac laptop will last you for years (as others' have). If you are getting a VCI-100 and a soundcard then you are pretty open to use, as Traktor and Ableton run on both platforms.

Once again, keep this advice and discussion, and lola, please search the forums to find more detailed answers.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Personal preference. If it has a core 2 duo or better processor and 3gb+ ram IT DOES NOT MATTER and will run anything you use for DJing flawlessly, nothing else matters.

I respect both, windows and OSX - But, I'm a mac. I love my mac, it's easy, it's fun to use, and it's fast. The thing is, If you want a PC, just install windows :>

it's a winwin sulution. anyways, it's a hard question to answer. Go and feel the computer at the store, ask plenty of questions and so on. I would go for the mac, it's the best thing i've bought in my 20 years alive.

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I'm saying this before the posts begin.

Do not turn this thread into a "Macs rock PCs suck" or vice versa or I will lock it. Never productive, never helpful.
    Yes, yes they are just tools to help reach an end.

Thanks for the advice, people. Can I ask what laptops you guys have?

Tech Mentor

If money is a problem go for a windows machine. Read reviews on the internet about some model, look for benchmarks, etc.

If you can, buy one of the new processors from intel called i7. Those are the next step up over core 2 duo and the most powerful laptop cpu in the world. There are rumors the macbooks will have that cpu soon... I can't wait to upgrade my mbp.

If you had more money I'd recommend a mac. Hardware wise today it's pretty much the same, both pcs and macs use the same components, but personally I prefer the mac os over windows xp/vista (haven't tried 7).

The i7 is overkill, the core 2 is more than fast enough...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    The i7 is overkill, the core 2 is more than fast enough...
    Yeah c2d it's fast enough, but if you're buying a new machine at least make it last.

Plus there's nothing worst than buying a new machine and seeing how next week a new model comes out and it gest obsolete...

I recently made the switch to mac and all i can say is its miles faster, more reliable, and nicer to look at and use, compared to my old dell inspiron anyway.
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

if you do a search there are already MANY threads containing the mac vs PC debate and the pros and cons of each, but to sum up....

PC's because of their price, vast range of options and accessories, much greater range of software and greater customizeability, make great machines for everyday work and for doing a range of tasks.

Macs with their closed, very stable system and tight hardware and software integration make a very solid platform that, while somewhat restrictive sometimes, will almost never crash or give any major problems.

I use both and lean probably about 90% PC for surfing the internet, email, typing up stuff and other every day work but, in my opinion for a professional job like DJing where you need a machine you can rely on 100% and that wont have the possibility of failing to boot with 10 mins till the public start to arrive or crash half way through a set then its work the extra to go for a Mac Book or MBP.

And yes, I have a 13" MBP for use with Traktor and DJing and find it fine for everything I do.

k

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast