Lets Talk Music Organization - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Stick 'em in a folder called "Archive".
    x2

my folder is called "cut"

don't delete anything you've paid for...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Schalenberg View Post
    Anyone recommend deleting tracks? I have about 500 tracks that have me thinking I was possessed whenever they came into my collection. I just don't have the heart to part with them.
    All the time. Life is too short for music you dont LOVE. Ive gone online and dug for 12 hours, then bought 50 or so tracks. A couple of days later I realised 3 or 4 werent really any good, and I wouldnt have bought them if I wasnt fatigued and had burnt out on so many tracks.

This is also a good argument to separate your DJ library and music collection.

My music collection has nearly 15,000 tracks, all collected from a lifetime of diggin and buying both physically and digitally.

My DJ library is only about 1500 for all genres, and I try to keep it around that size.

Unless you have to play top40, the DJ library is your own personal music personality, too many people feel they need to have "all the songs"

I have heaps of dumb songs that i still kinda like for some reason in my music library, but they wouldnt make it to the DJ library.

Default tag, tag, tag it up man!

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    the key to organising your music, is getting a tagging system down that works for your style
    yup yup! good tagging system is the way to go.... crates, folders, all get outdated, your tags won't though.

i'll have up to 5 or more tags depending on the song genre elements, makes it handy for transitions, and i use also energy tags which come in handy on the fly.

What i've found is the more prep you do before you put your music into serato/traktor the much better off you are in the long run - dont rush it, do it properly, and i'll serve you well in the long run.
    good luck man.
    L

Quote Originally Posted by LPHONIK
    I'll have up to 5 or more tags depending on the song genre elements, makes it handy for transitions, and i use also energy tags which come in handy on the fly.
    5 tags sounds about right. Too many, and you're into the realms of having too much information to be useful.

These are the current tags I'm using. As you can see, it's gotten WAY out of hand - and I DEFINITELY need to strip it down to around 5 usable tags:

list.jpg
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12