Just Starting Out
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2

    Default Just Starting Out

    Hi everyone! I'm just looking for some advice. I would like to get the Traktor Kontrol S8 and go from there and see where it takes me. But I would also like to see if anyone has some advice on just starting out as a EDM DJ. I'm really wanting to explore this and the more I know the better. Please Help?

  2. #2
    Tech Guru Patch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    6,468

    Default

    What was your question, mate???
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

    Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

  3. #3
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewGT View Post
    I would like to get the Traktor Kontrol S8 and go from there and see where it takes me.
    The S8 is awesomely capable. BUT...for beginners it presents the Tyranny of Choice. There are soooo many options available that it can be difficult to pick one and focus on mastering and building your skills.

    A solid two deck controller is a MUCH better option for learning the craft. The S2 or even the new S5 offer a nice package that can grow with you. Even some of the modular controllers are better options than the S8. As you are learning, having fewer choices means having fewer distractions. Once you have some sense of how you would like to work, then you can move in that direction.

    It can be difficult if you think about what you are giving up. So, don't think about that. Think about finding a solid platform that will let you learn, master, and build on the "basics" of being a DJ - whatever that means for you.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

  4. #4
    Tech Guru DJDoubleYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hyperspace
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    Hmm in the future you might want to use 4 decks and filter knobs are nice, I would pick a second hand S4 MK I to start out.
    DN-X1600 | 2x X1 MKI | APC 20 | MC-505 | MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | XBoard 49

  5. #5
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    What was your question, mate???
    I dont understand this either. I see it constantly in the production forums in reddit. Noobies come in and make some vague paragraph about wanting to do something, dont ask a question, then ask for tips.

    Its like they are completely helpless to find out anything themselves. Its baffling especially when they have the worlds knowledge available to them on a searchable database.

  6. #6
    Moderator keithace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    I dont understand this either. I see it constantly in the production forums in reddit. Noobies come in and make some vague paragraph about wanting to do something, dont ask a question, then ask for tips.

    Its like they are completely helpless to find out anything themselves. Its baffling especially when they have the worlds knowledge available to them on a searchable database.
    And then read two articles and think they are an expert...

    I left /r/djs...bunch of assholes...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

  7. #7
    Tech Guru DJDoubleYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hyperspace
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    Wait what there are other things than pictures of cats on reddit? How is the community over there? Similar to TechTools?
    DN-X1600 | 2x X1 MKI | APC 20 | MC-505 | MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | XBoard 49

  8. #8
    Moderator keithace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,071

    Default

    go check it out...you might like it...all i ever saw was martin garrix, diplo, porter robinson and a bunch of fanboys...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

  9. #9
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    And then read two articles and think they are an expert...

    I left /r/djs...bunch of assholes...
    There are some good posters and some good content there. But unfortunately %90 of is literally lazy noobs who cant be bothered googling anything so they ask people there to google it.

    Its a shame as its a great place for a dj community. There just needs to be a way to weed out the 'low effort djs' so we can actually have good conversations about techniques and music.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I'm sry that I didn't get to the question I was trying to ask. I see that now. But I thank you for your solid advice. I'm just starting out and thought it would be smart to ask around and what would be the smartest platform for me to start off with. And the advice that you've given me will lead me in the right direction. Thank you again.








    Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    The S8 is awesomely capable. BUT...for beginners it presents the Tyranny of Choice. There are soooo many options available that it can be difficult to pick one and focus on mastering and building your skills.

    A solid two deck controller is a MUCH better option for learning the craft. The S2 or even the new S5 offer a nice package that can grow with you. Even some of the modular controllers are better options than the S8. As you are learning, having fewer choices means having fewer distractions. Once you have some sense of how you would like to work, then you can move in that direction.

    It can be difficult if you think about what you are giving up. So, don't think about that. Think about finding a solid platform that will let you learn, master, and build on the "basics" of being a DJ - whatever that means for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •