Need advice for speakers for my living room DJ setup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need advice for speakers for my living room DJ setup

I'm going to be moving into a new place soon, and I plan on buying a speaker system for my living room to attach to my DJ gear for house parties.

I don't expect to be blasting the music too loud, as I will be living in a condo, so I was wondering if a home theatre system would do the trick. I know it would be idea to have PA speakers; however, I'm living in Tokyo, which is prone to earthquakes, and having large/heavy speakers like that would be a pretty serious hazard if they were to fall.

Does anyone have any tips with regard to what type of speakers would satisfy my requirements? The living room is about 250-300 square feet.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by Aaron Benjamin; 10-05-2015 at 01:55 AM.
    Aaron Benjamin
    soundcloud.com/djaaronbenjamin
    facebook.com/djaaronbenjamin

Tokyo/Toronto

You're not going to cause an earthquake whatever speakers you use - science & shit
    SC | MC

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    You're not going to cause an earthquake whatever speakers you use - science & shit
    That is indeed a relief. Unfortunately, earthquakes caused by the shifting of tectonic plates is still a big concern, so I'll still have to rule out PA speakers.
    Aaron Benjamin

Tokyo/Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    That is indeed a relief. Unfortunately, earthquakes caused by the shifting of tectonic plates is still a big concern, so I'll still have to rule out PA speakers.
    I don't understand, are you actually concerned your living room speakers are going to cause an earthquake or just them falling down during one? I hope it's the second one
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Quote Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou View Post
    I don't understand, are you actually concerned your living room speakers are going to cause an earthquake or just them falling down during one? I hope it's the second one
    The latter.

Anyone have any speaker suggestions?
    Aaron Benjamin

Tokyo/Toronto

It's quite obvious he doesn't want his PA speakers on stands due to them toppling over if there's an earthquake.

I have a set of Mackie Thumps that actually sit quite nice on the floor, they're built so you can tilt them back and have them facing slightly upwards if you don't want to use stands.

I don't know how I'd feel about getting a home theater system for the sole purpose of having house parties unless you were already in the market for one anyways.

I have used a Soundblaster Creative 5.1 surround system in my living room (4 little "satellite" speakers and a combined sub/amp) and it was fine for a party or practice.

You really don't need to spend a fortune on speakers.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I don't recommend a "home theater" set up for DJing unless the amp has a "direct through" The processing that happens in a home theater setup makes the delay between your cue and master intollerable.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I have used a Soundblaster Creative 5.1 surround system in my living room (4 little "satellite" speakers and a combined sub/amp) and it was fine for a party or practice.

You really don't need to spend a fortune on speakers.
    I'm blasting my tunes in the living room on the eternal Logitech X-530 setup (bought used for 40€). Connected to a DVD player for 5.1 sound but when using it with the TV/laptop/DJ gear hooked up with the 2.0 adapter. Had some parties here with a dozen-or-so friends, no problem with volume.
    Would it be better with some 8" monitors or small PA speakers? Yes, but it's not worth it for a 400-500€ price difference.
    As you said, you don't need to spend a fortune on speakers if you have a small apartment (and limited funds).

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    I don't recommend a "home theater" set up for DJing unless the amp has a "direct through" The processing that happens in a home theater setup makes the delay between your cue and master intollerable.
    True. Had problem on multiple occasions in the past where I would go to friend's party (I was asked if I could DJ), they would provide the speakers - only to find out there was a home stereo system with a shitload of DSP processing that would cause the delay in the sound from it. Only solution is to mix in the headphones and you can forget about karaoke (actually, that was a good thing )
    Last edited by SlayForMoney; 10-05-2015 at 11:50 AM.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

You've hit the nail on the head, mate.

For the money, you can't go wrong... I got mine for £25 about 10 years ago (included a 5.1 pci card!). Still going strong.

The processing that happens in a home theater setup makes the delay between your cue and master intollerable.
    I've not come across this with my set-up.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast