The Promo Only Back Issue Issue
    Tech Mentor

Default The Promo Only Back Issue Issue

So, every march I buy a year of back issue CD's when they are on sale because I know I am going to hire a 2nd DJ eventually and want to have another library. This year they are renewing their contract and cannot sell 2014 back issues. They said just give it some time. I have a young kid chomping at the bit to learn to DJ and I cannot get him a library together because Promo Only still cannot legally sell 2014 back issues.

I get the promo only digital POOL service for my main setup, but the secondary library I want to be lean and mean and under 200gb. For this reason I have just been getting the country, the rhythm and the mainstream radio subscription. All the basics, none of the fluff. Then I fill it in with compilation CD's, like the timelife rock collection and some others, finally polish it off with a thousand or so Amazon downloads to fill in what I'm missing from the most requested charts and I figure I will have a lean mean library that will mostly fit on an iPad.

They just told me yesterday that they may never be able to sell 2014 issues if this doesn't get resolved.

What can I do to fill in my 2014/2015 Library. Just need the basics for weddings.

This sounds like a question for the VDJ forums.

I'm sure this is a question they can answer.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    This sounds like a question for the VDJ forums.

I'm sure this is a question they can answer.
    Not sure what that is, all I know is that every DJ forum that I tried to join other than this one was full of self righteous A-holes or wasn't accepting new memberships. This is the only forum that was actually helpful with anything.

The VirtualDJ forum is full of working mobile Disc Jockeys - they're a helpful bunch of guys.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Check out the dmc catalogs... Promo only is great but I find the dmc really fills where promo only drops off.... Only down side is if your in North America sometimes you end up with way more Brit/euro tracks so just have to be cautious on how you do it... Although almost always the us charts and Brit charts interline only thing that may be tough is the country as I've found it to be lacking on dmc.....

Tech Mentor

Promo Only is a great service...been with them for almost 20 years. I get the club stuff though to fill in when I need material to please the non club types who show up at my venues.
    I'm not really into what you are looking for... But agree with some of the other services mentioned.
    Another more tedious option would be to go in the Billboard site and grab the Top tracks from that timeframe and hit up iTunes or Amazon.
    I'd be on the lookout for compilations, though... They tend to be heavily discounted.

chck out some the articles about record pools in the blog here, too... There may be some good sources for you there as well

Compilations are way to go sadly you sometimes end up with unintended versions and don't notice until you play them.

Tech Mentor

Very true... Or even worse, older compilation that were mixed.
    I usually check the time on the tracks to see if they match single versions.
    Although, labels that I like buying comps from are usually good about it both music and price wise.